Thread: Single shot 223

Single shot 223

Does anyone use single shots.I have a low budget and seen one for 200 scoped with a heavy barrel.Would be for foxing,seems not a bad price for a starter cenre fire.

I have a Ruger no1V in 6mm rem, and to be honest with practise can reload it about as fast as I can chamber a round through any of my bolt actions.
    Helps focus the mind when taking the shot.LOL
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

nothing wrong with a single shot, but if you do need a quick second shot you havent got it.
    i have seen for similar money old .223 for the floor plate mag, my be a better buy, think it just depends on how quick you need your rifle really.

Dont do it would be my two pence worth pal. Ive had a custom made 22/250 made last year and all I can say is try to chamber a second round cause you have missed a 200/300 yard fox in dark in landy with a head keeper screaming in ya ear to shoot the thing !!!! . Just my opinion pal and its your money but for a working rifle have mag fed and leave the singles for paper punchers
    Kind regards
    Last edited by jimmy milnes; 29-03-2013 at 07:57.

All the guys that I know that have single shot rifles know how to use them and rarely need a second shot, but if they do they can usually get them off pretty quickly. The rifles also tend to be at the top end of the market and not budget rifles.
    I think generally most people are better off with a magazine fed bolt action though.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

The single shot Blasers are pretty rifles, but probably not that quick to reload (top lever break barrel shotgun style) on the other hand the falling block style i.e. Ruger with a bit of practice can be operated as quickly as a bolt action.

It's surprising just how fast a Kipplauf can be reloaded.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I had a NEF Varmint and a custom Ruger falling Block. Both shot very well. The NEF was a very utilitarian gun but it would put (Then) inexpensive Winchester 46 grain HP ammo under MOA. The Ruger was a 16 pound beast used for prairiedogging. Our JAYB loved it and reviled me when I got rid of it....~Muir

theres a cz .223 for sale on airgun bbs, which has an 5 cap mag and is screw cut with sound mod for 250.
    i know its more then you wanted to spend, might be worth a look.