Thread: Low velocity round

Low velocity round

After all the recent talk about handguns for dispatch, I was thinking why not have a couple of low velocity rounds possibly with pure lead heads, it would be easier to use than carrying a handgun.

nothing against handguns, its just one more thing to carry and I remember when they were legal, I had a go a few times and couldnt hit the barn from inside.

anyone tried it?

I have been shooting cast bullets at target and big game for over 20 years. What would you like to know? Is is practical? Yes.~Muir

More importantly, who cares! If you have to shoot again, as we all do from time to time, just use the next round in the mag. I have deliberately stayed out of the handgun debate as it is more about peoples egos than animal welfare. I have been a Stalker for 20 years and been shooting around 4-500 deer a year for the last ten of these and I have never felt the need for a pistol or any form of down-loaded cartridge. I have used a shotgun and .22lr on occaision when dealing with RTA's but in realistic, stalking circumstances you simply use the next round. Before any says 'if he's never used a pistol how does he know he doesn't need one'; I shot the Browning Hi-Power 9mm in combat shooting competitions for six years so am well aware of the handleing and accuracy capabilities of the weapon. I don't mean to lecture to anyone or presume to know it all but my advice is to keep it simple and forget the down-load idea. Best wishes,JC

So was that a yes or a no?

So was that a yes or a no?

Sorry mate, typing away and never realised that I hadn't even answered your question! No, I haven't tried it! Whilst I have given my opinions on the humane dispatch aspect, I am not discounting the idea of loading cast bullets at moderate velocity for plinking. I have no experience of how to go about this. JC

Well! I have killed a lot of game with cast bullets and prefer them to jacketed rounds when practical.

First: You would not want to shoot pure lead bullets. These will go plastic at very low pressures and not shoot worth a darn. The wheelweights used for balancing automobile rims are much better and easier to cast.

As to the suitability, I guess it would depend on what caliber we are talking about. JayB shoots them from 22 Hornet, .222, 243 and 6.5x55. He shoots paper but I shoot varmints with .222 with 55 grain bullets at 2750 fps. I shoot 188 grain 30 cal bullets from my .308 at 2400 fps and this is my favorite deer load. For dispatching downed game I'd use a bullet cast of wheel-weight shot over a light charge of fast burning powder such as IMR 4198; a favorite powder for cast bullet shooters here in the US. If it's legal, cast bullet shooting is a vary good practice. Even if it isn't legal for game, the increase in economical target shooting can't hurt ones marksmanship. Perhaps alleviating the need for that finishing shot? It certainly won't wear your barrel out! ~Muir

low velocity round

I think the idea was maybe low velocity as in still legal for deer , just a little less likely to frag surrounding area, I'd go for a sintered bullet personally for r.t.a. stuff