Norma 120 grn. BT or soft point

Overlay

Hi Guys

Ballistic tips. Roe and a muntie this weekend. First one the roe. Placed shot ok. BT went everywhere. 90 yd shot. All through the carcase

2 nd shot. On a Muntie 100 yds. In and out. Exit wound an inch across at the most and it run on for 15 yds both were good shot placements

Never had a problem before! With this round

Anyone else found any similar problems, thinking of going to soft point

Phil

if you say you have "never had a problem with this round before" obviously it isn't the round.I would say its one of two things
1. driver error
2. beast to close to expand due to speed of bullet

When you say BT went everywhere what do you mean? Was it a broad side shot or quartering, what was the exit like?

Hi Guys

Both shots were square on and good shot placement at a decent range 90 - 100 yds One entered and went everywhere with no normal exit wound as far as I am aware, none struck any big bones on entry or when trying to exit,the other just went virtually straight through without any notable expansion.

Whats the entry like, could it have blown up prior to impact? Are they the factory loads? Was the damage only in the chest cavity? Have you had chance to skin it yet, this can tell you a lot.

Used the BST for a few seasons on Fallow and Roe are found them very good.

Had a friend with me the last few days and the 140g Norma also gave superb results.

I have shot nowhere near as many Deer as a lot of the Lads on this Forum but i have sometimes had Bullets do strange things. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it anyway. I have found in my experience Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting Bullets to be Generally very reliable. Only thing that happened to me was a 120 Grainer out of my 6.5X284 hit a Red Hind top of Heart then turned right, found the empty jacket in the Rumen. Only happened once. The 100 Grain were outstanding on Roe shot with my Swede.
I would just put it down to experience and carry on mate.

Yorkie.

Thanks Guys

Having two shots each one the opposite each end of the scale for normal, ?

i have used the 120 grn Norma without any issues and the rifle loves em. Shoots bang on the button With this round.

Just seems a bit strange for two rounds so different from the same batch.

Just goes to show every day is a Learning day

​Phil

Used a 120bt tonight in 6.5...worked wonders on a good sized Fallow at 175yds!!!

Good exit, (although not needed) ideal for blood trail!

Havent seen any variants in the bullet but only in the powder, seating, oal etc!!!

B

Hi Guys

Ballistic tips. Roe and a muntie this weekend. First one the roe. Placed shot ok. BT went everywhere. 90 yd shot. All through the carcase

2 nd shot. On a Muntie 100 yds. In and out. Exit wound an inch across at the most and it run on for 15 yds both were good shot placements

Never had a problem before! With this round

Anyone else found any similar problems, thinking of going to soft point

Phil

Is this out of a 6.5x55?
Personally I have found ballistic tips to be variable as you have found i.e occasionally frangible. I was trying some out last week and had the same result, it just happens. My preference would be a bonded soft point. From a bonded bullet extracted from a Fallow today (frontal shot, centre of chest, 2nd rib, through the length of the body) it showed a good mushroom and the core still bonded to the jacket, you don't get that with BT's (most of them anyway).
​The soft points are usually cheaper too!

yep

Sako 85 in 6.5 x 55

These two rounds have been the only ones, rifle shoots spot on never had any problems before.

I will load a few soft point 120 and see how they go on test

Back