Ultrasonic Cleaners

User00004

I am getting all my kit together to start reloading again. I was/am looking at Tumblers but keep thinking about Ultrasonic cleaners, they are generally 1/2 the price and clean up in less than 10mins.

The only issue I see with them is the faffing about, the chemical/soap/detergeant/acid whatever you use in them seems to vary from thread to thread.

Acid discoulours, X does this, Y does that, you have to rinse them off, then you have to put them in the oven to dry them.

Those that have used both, tumbler and ultrasonic cleaners, what's your preferred means of cleaning? Is the hassle with ultrasonic worth it?

Thanks in Advance

TJ

Hi TJ

I have a cheap ultrasonic cleaner which I ad 2 tablespoons of whit vinegar to warm water with a drop of washing up liquid. Run for 10 minutes . Cases come out clean and shiny. Stick on the heater or in oven to dry. No discolouration what so ever.

Can show you mine in operation before you take the plunge.

Got both, ultrasonic to me is a PIA.
The brass never seemed to clean up as well as tumbling, and then the faff of drying it all !
It all looks dry after being in the oven on low for a while, get them out and some still have moisture in.
Plus earache from the Mrs. For having shooting stuff in the oven.
​Just not worth it to me.

I have an expensive ultrasonic cleaner in work heats the water to near boiling point muli trandusers etc anyway I put my brass in at 60deg C with a little washing up liquid 30 min cycle they come out clean even the primer pocket I rinse off in clean water then dry in the oven when I get home.
Have to change the water in the tank as its black with soot.
Works for me.

BTW no earache from the Mrs for using the oven :D

... Those that have used both, tumbler and ultrasonic cleaners, what's your preferred means of cleaning? Is the hassle with ultrasonic worth it? ..

TJ. The short answer is yes. The main benefit I see with the ultrasonic cleaner is the ability to clean the brass twice. Once before full length resizing and for a second time, right at the end of the case prep process. I put my cases in the airing cupboard for 36 hours to dry. Regards JCS

Last edited:
TJ. The short answer is yes. The main benefit I see with the ultrasonic cleaner is the ability to clean the brass twice. Once before full length resizing and for a second time, right at the end of the case prep process. I put my cases in the airing cupboard for 36 hours to dry. Regards JCS

i wash mine off after in boiling water then i have made a spike tray so i put the cases on the spikes, thay dry pdq i also have an air line to blow any water away if needed long winded way but it works for me:p

the big issue i have with u/s cleaners are how many pieces of brass you can clean at one time. A friend of mine have a 1.2l cleaner and does his brass in batches of 15-20 at a time. last night i tumbled a batch of 500 .223 done while i slept. Yes i would love the stainless steel cleaner and one day maybe but untill then my standard tumbler will do.

Simon

Back