anyone use slugs for deer ?

cervushunter

Hi all,

I would just like some advice from anyone who has actually used or uses them on deer ? If so could you please get in touch as I would like to pick your brains.

Unusual I know but I need to look at all possible options before I commit to an approach to a small problem.

Regards Mark

I hate the way the slime gets all over my hands so have given up on them.

I find you just can't drive them fast enough, there's just a gooey smear and a burnt smell as they leave the barrel :lol:

(Sorry cervushunter we're being no help at all)

Hi all,

I would just like some advice from anyone who has actually used or uses them on deer ? If so could you please get in touch as I would like to pick your brains.

Unusual I know but I need to look at all possible options before I commit to an approach to a small problem.

Regards Mark
Why does it have to be slugs? what's wrong with a rifle of the appropriate calibre?

Why does it have to be slugs? what's wrong with a rifle of the appropriate calibre?
I have experience with shotgun and rifles of appropriate calibre already in various situations but I have none with slugs and I'm thinking that it may or may not help with my situation.
I completely understand if people would rather pm , email or we can discuss over the phone.

View attachment 26517 As mentioned here is my zero at 50yards with a fairly open choke on a semi auto. got a much better grouping from a much tighter choked 12g baikal! Will have to put a tighter choke in the semit auto and tighten this a bit.

Mark,
I use the dangerous game slugs with 28gms of unique in a remmy 1100 with a 24" barrel (imp cyl)with rifle sights.
I can usually get all three rounds in the end of a coke can @ 50yds.
This load knocks deer over better than any rifle, and in the right environment is far superior.
I have found that you get very little bruising as the slug cuts its way through, there is however a phenonemon with the round in that all around the exit wound the hair is missing, I mean a 3/4 " exit but a 4" bald patch with not a single pin on it.

I have in the past. I grew up in a state where rifles were illegal for deer hunting so slugs were the way I went. Had an ithica Deer Slayer pump. Accurate with most brands. Killed deer very well at slug ranges. I cutrrently have a Savage Fox Model B side-by side that was cut down and has rifle sights added. It will put slugs from either barrel into a 3" circle at 50 yards. I consider it to be my close range dangerous game gun. ~Muir

Sorry to show up my general lack of knowledge, but what is the legal position on buying slugs? Simply a shotgun certificate?

Sorry to show up my general lack of knowledge, but what is the legal position on buying slugs? Simply a shotgun certificate?

Solid slug can only be purchased or aquired on a firearms certificate.

Last edited:
OK ,First find the slug that works well in your chosen Gun. Rifle slugs for smooth bore shotguns and sabot slugs for rifled shotgun barrels. I shoot Sellier and Bellot slugs in my remington 870 pump with 20 inch imp cyl barrel. 5cm group at 50 yrd. Yes they work very well on deer. keep the range short. Its legal in Sweden to use slug on fallow, mouflon and boar. if you want to shoot roe use #1 or #3 shot up to 25 yards, Lethal.

Slugs not loaded, components, are just lumps of lead and not prohibited, once loaded yes they have to be on your 'ammunition authorised to be possessed' place on the FAC.

Though you wouldn't believe it if you saw the number of slugs that have been adverised for sale on ebay in the past (not sure if it still goes on). Some shotgun shooters are likely to get themselves in a whole heap of trouble if they get caught with loaded solid slug and don't have a FAC with the necessary authority.

Have used them on pigs (driven Boar) and they knock them down ok deer should be no problem keep the distance down

Back