Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made a right hash

Made a right hash

I went out about 6.30pm for a scout around,saw what looked like a fox on far bank,had a quick look through the binos,yeah it was and a good distance away,possibly a pb shot,I quickly range it and it was 409yds which would have been,it was heading up the bank so I ranged ahead,got down to take the shot and I was laying down hill and bipod wasn't high enough,I adjusted once and wasn't enough,the fox was getting near cover where I ranged ahead at 445yds,I gave it about 6 inches coz of slight crosswind and let the shot go,I saw the fox look up then walk on,soon as I let the shot go I knew I forgot to adjust the elevation ,I've never done that before,was too much of a rush,had to smile to myself,what cock up
    Last edited by swarovski; 31-03-2013 at 22:11.

Most wouldn`t have took the shot in the first instance.
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

How could you forget about elevation? Most would forget about windage

No, making a right hash of it would have been blowing a leg off.

All this happen i well under a minute and wasn't prepared,normal circumstances I would of been Laying in wait and all distances taken and elevation would of been dialled in and if any adjustments needed it would have been 1 or 2 clicks,at that range I would of missed 0.630m low,I know a lot wouldn't agree taking on a shot at that range but that's you.

I've had that happen but the other way round last year, was out doing a bit of long range bunny bashing when a 1/2 grown fox popped out the hedge about 80 yards from me. With 7.75 moa still dialled in I shot well over its back it bolted about 50 yards into the field and just sat there wondering what had just happened unluckily for it I realised my mistake and the second shot was bang on. You'll get him next time.

I will probaly go out again later and wait and be prepared,I have been longrange shooting for a few years now on the range and in the field and I am very familiar with my equipment and know my elevatations are cock on,they are wrote down on my stock an also carry a chart too,I've shot into 1.5 inches at 400yds so equipment well up to the task.sorry if it offends some,regards swaro

I went this afternoon earlier than usual,thought I would put a target out at 450yds,it was a bit windy really,was a bit sheltered in the valley,not much wind at the firing point but target end it was,it was gusty and swirling,thought I would give a crack anyway,bal cal said 1.4 mils and 0.5 mil windage,my wind meter was in my other coat so I guesstimated wind was around 6mph,before I took the shots I thought about taking of 2 clicks but went by the bal cal,was happy with the target considering the wind was hard to read.a fag paper over 2 inches,if I had taken off the 2 clicks it would of been bang on,I only take on long shots in good conditions,this target was a fun thing,25-06 with an 85gr nos bal tips,atb swarvoski
    Last edited by swarovski; 01-04-2013 at 23:09.

I was shooting a steel gong at 500 metres yesterday, I dialled in the wind and elevation but was amazed to see the bullet strike well off to left (wind was 10mph from the right), I then realised that I had dialled the wind the wrong way , once I realised my mistake I was able to get a nice group.

Better luck next time.

Rich you got the scope on upside doon mate