Police Call Out today.....2 Terriers out of control in New Forest

cervus

Police Call Out early today to badly injured deer in private garden having been attacked by two terriers that drove it into Forest edge property and mauled it.....humanely dispatched.

Attachments

• 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 366
  • 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 320
  • 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 300
  • 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 311
Hi,

good morning, just in from work so will keep it short, two foxes that wont bother me again ha ha

well done for dispatching the animals.
the hole in the ear is a humane shot so don't despair about those whom don't know anything about anatomy,
I do have some questions though,

1, the dark rump picture is indicative of several hours of contact with air. how long where they chased or hurt before your site arrival

2, your beasts summer coat looks well on there, your at least a month ahead of those up north which backs theories as to why we stop short of them hearty northerners

3, what kind of terrier was to blame, i fear they where possibly the only ones seen, looking at some of that damage seems a taller larger dog may be also to blame or assisted.

4, dogs nature is to be wild and vicious as it is ours to live in caves and hit women over the head with clubs. However following many years of development (not all as shown) but most of us are now civilized. Dogs are the same and if trained properly and looked after don't carry out this kind of behavior nor eat faces of children so stop laying blame at the dogs. They only do what they know best. I am sick of attending sheep with torn rear ends and the owner saying i don't know why he did that he normally only stays local and doesn't wander so far or oh it was the other dog that was with him that made him do it.

WELL DONE 10/10 FROM ME

about to go and club me a woman now lol

atb,

Well done for dispatching the animal , this kind if thing really gets me mad, and even when you catch the brainless dog owners who have them off the lead the response is always the same " oh my dig would never do that "

Last edited:
Good job

Yes a point blank one through the ear does the trick & is very humane in my book in this situation, as by the look of the pics the poor beast had already had more than its share of suffering I feel.

​Cheers Lee

Sorry, obviously need to clarify my earlier post, nothing wrong with the despatch shot placement at all, I was referring to the dog attack as being less than humane. Well done for sorting this out.

Hi all, the ear damage was caused by the dogs tearing at it on the ground...my.32 shot was in the brain stem,just to clarify..the dogs were a border terrier and a brindle/cross whatever ,there was alot of subcutaneous bruising possibly caused by forcing itself through a low fence ,the coat loss was over 60%,the deer was so damaged that I could not really use it for !my hawks....fox bait !;)

Last edited:
no way of telling i suppose,but was this all there own doing or had it been in an rta before and they have attacked it after finding it.just wondering,as you would expect a healthy deer to outrun a terrier.(not including beddlingtons)

no way of telling i suppose,but was this all there own doing or had it been in an rta before and they have attacked it after finding it.just wondering,as you would expect a healthy deer to outrun a terrier.(not including beddlingtons)
that was my kind of thought,the bruising could be caused by being stuck under a vehicle, however the dogs were there worrying the poor thing and thats that , well done in an unpleasant circumstance

No knowledge of events prior to suffice to say that the area is off of the main drag so I doubt it, suspect that this is one of a pair of twins local to the landowners garden,she had seen the doe with two followers ,in the field previously,she chased the dogs off so ID was based on her info. Her biggest gripe was with the Forestry Commission who would not attend "due to health and safety concerns", the property was 75 yds off of the Crown Estates! I am not going to go there!! When an animal is in distress and it is safe to proceed I will always do what is right for the animal,just my take on this...tin hat on standby!!!:old:

No knowledge of events prior to suffice to say that the area is off of the main drag so I doubt it, suspect that this is one of a pair of twins local to the landowners garden,she had seen the doe with two followers ,in the field previously,she chased the dogs off so ID was based on her info. Her biggest gripe was with the Forestry Commission who would not attend "due to health and safety concerns", the property was 75 yds off of the Crown Estates! I am not going to go there!! When an animal is in distress and it is safe to proceed I will always do what is right for the animal,just my take on this...tin hat on standby!!!:old:
me also !

Fair play to u for putting it out its misery. Some dog owners have no idea, u should blow up photo's and put in local shops 'Did ur dogs do this?'

Slight query, was confused wot has the Crown estate (near there land) and the FC got to do with it? They are 2 seperate companies/organisations and ran completely seperate from each other, even Crown est woods are not managed by the FC.

Do any FC rangers carry out RTA/Humane culling work throu there day job? Also there FC firearms tickets would probably not cover them unless they also have a normal firearms licence

The Commission ground is Crown land they are Crown Servants,their rifles are for Crown Servant duties only,illegal for use outside of the Forest,many keepers are on the RTA LIST for call out inside the Forest Boundary,in practise we all help each other by and large with "boundary issues ".Similarly ,I cannot carry or use firearms for deer/vermin within the Forest Boundary,I am not sure how many keepers have their own rifles and attend outside the Boundary,I believe there is a bit of flexibility but it seems inconsistent,like the incident I referred to here....

Do wonder if I should post this but here goes any way.............
There is a springer round my way that is always pulling Roe down, pretty much any dog the size of a leggy JRT or over is capable of pulling Roe and Roe can be pretty daft under pressure, running in circles, falling over, running into things etc.
It really does not matter how well trained and behaved a dog is once it has it in its head that it can chase and pull deer it will be almost impossible to break it and they will cause an awful lot of very nasty wounds to lots of deer before they get it into their heads to go for a throat hold and finish it quickly and once that happens and the dog has the nack of it the owners may not even know the dog is killing deer!
Breaking a dog to deer is just like any other animal or farm stock, if you don't do it when they are young, or at all, they will never be steady to that animal and how many owners of pet dogs get chance to break their dogs to deer?
They may be rock solid around sheep, horses, cats and cattle but the one day they are presented with some thing that looks and smells like none of the above and all of a sudden that long forgotten prey drive kicks in and away they go, next thing you know the dog has the deer balled up against a fence or hedge and is tearing chunks out of it!
I'd say the injuries to that deer are 100% consistant with being pulled by inexperienced dogs, they generally pull the deer by the back end, rip the arse and hunches to bits as the deer runs then work their way up the back and onto the back of the neck once the deer is on the ground so as to keep away from the flailing hooves!

Got u ;) Think i slightly mis understood u, we also have areas of Crown estate ground which is a normal est with farms and woods etc but has no connection to the FC.

Most of the rangers i know (and i'd imagine most will) have there own seperate firearms/gun licences for invites or away days. I've never heard off the local boy's doing much rta work (althou i've never really asked them either) but the way the woods are up here not so much traffic around the fc owned woods and doubt many locals would even report it

Do wonder if I should post this but here goes any way.............
There is a springer round my way that is always pulling Roe down, pretty much any dog the size of a leggy JRT or over is capable of pulling Roe and Roe can be pretty daft under pressure, running in circles, falling over, running into things etc.
It really does not matter how well trained and behaved a dog is once it has it in its head that it can chase and pull deer it will be almost impossible to break it and they will cause an awful lot of very nasty wounds to lots of deer before they get it into their heads to go for a throat hold and finish it quickly and once that happens and the dog has the nack of it the owners may not even know the dog is killing deer!
Breaking a dog to deer is just like any other animal or farm stock, if you don't do it when they are young, or at all, they will never be steady to that animal and how many owners of pet dogs get chance to break their dogs to deer?
They may be rock solid around sheep, horses, cats and cattle but the one day they are presented with some thing that looks and smells like none of the above and all of a sudden that long forgotten prey drive kicks in and away they go, next thing you know the dog has the deer balled up against a fence or hedge and is tearing chunks out of it!
I'd say the injuries to that deer are 100% consistant with being pulled by inexperienced dogs, they generally pull the deer by the back end, rip the arse and hunches to bits as the deer runs then work their way up the back and onto the back of the neck once the deer is on the ground so as to keep away from the flailing hooves!

That all sounds like quite a logical theory. Roe don't have much stamina when running long distances compared to most dogs and a persistent dog will eventually catch up if not brought under control.

As always it is the dog owners fault and NOT Fentons. Perhaps we should be bringing this sort of thing to the attention of the local newspapers to educate the ignorant public. I doubt the RSPCA would be interested.

Well done cervus for putting the poor beast out of its misery

It also depends upon the deer as well, an older animal on its home turf that has got away from dogs before will know exactly what it has to do and where to go to lose them, a younger less experienced animal or one on new ground wont have a clue, even one that has been surprised by the dog and panicked may well just run in a circle and then fall over for no real reason.
Its even worse if there are two, or more, dogs, one putting pressure on the deer from behind and the other boxing it in away from its escape routes and forcing it into turns to slow it up while the one behind starts pulling the back end out of it.

Hyperion wrote

'It really does not matter how well trained and behaved a dog is once it has it in its head that it can chase and pull deer it will be almost impossible to break it and they will cause an awful lot of very nasty wounds to lots of deer before they get it into their heads to go for a throat hold and finish it quickly and once that happens and the dog has the nack of it the owners may not even know the dog is killing deer!'

I do not agree with this. All my dogs will track, find and pull down a wounded deer up to and including reds. When out walking them, they will sometimes get up after a startled roe but a blast on the whistle will stop them in their tracks. Its all down to training i'm afraid. I hasten to add, I'm not whiter than white. On two occasions, 10 years apart, a dog of mine has caught and killed a roe. Both occasions were when I had lost concentration and not realised in time what was going on! Felt awful on both occasions but the deer did not get wasted.

Back