Game dealer deductions

mudman

I have a shoulder shot red deer I am considering taking to the game dealers, the entry broke the bone between the elbow and the shoulder blade and the exit was more or less the same place on the far side without touching the bone, so a low shoulder shot.

How much to dealers typically deduct for meat damage?

5 or 6 lbs in wieght depending on how much damage there is to the shoulder would be resonable, if you do not use the dealer every week.

If you don't put many beasts through the gamedealer then you are in his hands a bit. I agree two prices, one for head shot park deer (£2.50/kg at present) and another for chest shot park and wild deer (£2.10/kg) I do not sell saddle damaged deer as I cut these in house so that I can drive a better deal with the dealers and not give them any excuse to knock me back. Normally a shoulder shot deer should not incur any reduction but its up to the individual to agree a deal. JC

deductions

Guys

We as a game dealers do not make deductions for shoulder shots, is a beast were saddled then we have in the past done so, but to be honest most of the stalkers that we take in from on a regular basis I just take the rough with the smooth & it all irons out in the long run!

As always its no so much the shot damage but more the bloody mess they make of them afterwards!

Regs Lee

Re: deductions

lwcdart said:
Guys

We as a game dealers do not make deductions for shoulder shots, is a beast were saddled then we have in the past done so, but to be honest most of the stalkers that we take in from on a regular basis I just take the rough with the smooth & it all irons out in the long run!

As always its no so much the shot damage but more the bloody mess they make of them afterwards!

Regs Lee
I'm hoping that was a jest Lee! :lol:

Re: deductions

finnbear270 said:
lwcdart said:
Guys

Regs Lee
I'm hoping that was a jest Lee! :lol:

I doubt it!! I was up at the dealers last weekend and some of the carcasses in there were a mess - looked like the gralloch had been by a blind man on a galloping horse (using a chainsaw)!! I knew mine weren't the neatest but I'll never worry again!!

Field Dressing

Gents

No I was not having a laugh!

Field dressing a carcas & ending up with a decent end result is not rocket Science (there are enough bloody videos on the market) !

We still have some poor old beasts in a real state offered to us & to be honest my 13 year old daughter could make a better bloody job of it.

Sorry to go off on one but in this day & age it just should not be still happening-that bodied are left full of rumen content, leaf debris & with the tracts still in-oosing yet more crap into the body, add a bit of fly blow & we then have a full set!

Anyone that holds a Lantra number should just not be offering deer like this for sale-but I assure you they do!

Regs Lee

gamedealer reductions

the gamedealer i use deducts 1 kilo for shoulder shot roe. on the subject of carcass preperation, i like to think my crcasses are decent when they get to the dealer. however some gamedealers seem to expect the carcass to resemble an animal that has been walked in to a slaughterhouse and killed with a captive bolt gun. remember ithe initial gralloch is carried out in the field. no offence lee, but my gamedealer moans about everything, not just venison, he has a go at rabbits, pigeons, pheasants etc. to whitch my usual reply is - theve been shot for gods sake !! ok rant over

thomas

Dealers

Thomas

I take on board what you have said & as I said in my 1st post on this thread that we take it as it comes, however what I was trying to put across was that I accept the shot damage as the damage has to be there in order for the beast to be dead in the first place.

The damage caused by the bullet is supposed to be there-after all that is what they are designed to do-cause terminal damage :D

My real gripe is that in many cases we see badly dressed bodies that have large comtaminated areas that result in further waste of good meat due to shabby field dressing & people having a general lack of respect in handeling the carcas post shot.

I stalk myself & 95% of the time the deer which either myself or my staff field dress are done in situe at impact site on the ground & I know that there are a few of the SD members that have seen our handywork first hand.

Bodies are only then taken back to the larder to be recorder & Tagged, at that stage they will have a quick inspection to insure they are free of any general crap, cloughts & rubbish.

Its not hard to do properly, but in many cases its still not happening.

Regards Lee

gamedealer deductions

hi lee
i agree 100%, its not difficult to do a clean job at the site of the shot.however the dealer in question is always looking for an excuse to make deductions on the carcass weight. you and i both know that when the carcass is processed, shoulders that are shot through, are boned out, and put through the mincer for sausage/ burgers.
yet he still insists that he must deduct 1- 2 kg for shot shoulders.
the only time he is happy, is if an animal is head shot, and in my opinion we should not advocate taking head shots at deer.
the answer of course, is find another dealer, however its the only one in my area, so i have no choice.

regards
thomas

Back