Expensive Wrist watches

lordy

After seeing an advert on here and some comments that were coming up I thought I would put it out there. I personally have never really understood the reason for buying a Rolex, Breitling etc for multiple £1000s. Apart from an investment why wear thousands of pounds on your wrist that could get damaged scratched etc etc when something for £100 can look as nice in my opinion and do the same job? As I said its something I personally dont understand and appreciate different people have different views.

You wouldn't be asking this question if money were no object;)
I like the look of Tag Heuer but they are out of my price range.
Cheers
Richard

why buy a blaser or sauer when you could buy a cz?

why buy a Mercedes or BMW when you could buy a ford?

After seeing an advert on here and some comments that were coming up I thought I would put it out there. I personally have never really understood the reason for buying a Rolex, Breitling etc for multiple £1000s. Apart from an investment why wear thousands of pounds on your wrist that could get damaged scratched etc etc when something for £100 can look as nice in my opinion and do the same job? As I said its something I personally dont understand and appreciate different people have different views.

By that token, why spend thousands on a rifle and optics when they are going to be dragged through the mire, scratched and stained? Or why spend thousands on a new car when an old runner will do the job?

It's just down to personal choice. A good handmade watch is more than just a simple timepiece. Some people appreciate the effort that goes into making such a complicated object that will withstand the challenges of temperature, humidity, shock, etc. Many watches are also an investment - when you sell it, it will likely be worth as much as you paid for it if not more. And they look nice!

Life would be incredibly boring if we all had the same watch...the same clothes...the same rifle...the same caliber....

​willie_gunn

But a rifle, shotgun will feel different, optics will perform better I can't see £10k worth of watch is going to tell the time that much better than a £100 timepiece or feel any different. I can understand craftsmanship involved but some of the price tags are massive. But then as said £10k to some people is the same as me buying a pint down the pub.

Why buy a Rolex - to make a statement, people believe that it gives them status, the same reason people buy Range Rovers (a real knobs vehicle), flashy BMWs, etc. In reality most people with such cars haven't got a pot to pee in and they are up to their eyes in debt. In reality once you come into money the items you use to desire and think you would like become irrelevant as they are now within your reach and are of no interest, and anonymity becomes more important, in essence those that boast the most generally have the least.

My philosophy is to spend your money to make you happy and not to try and alter the way other people perceive you, I find it a sad fact that we have become so materialistic these days, and that people will get themselves into debt for the most stupid reasons.

Well, all I can say is I have a nice watch, and every time I look at it to tell the time it puts a smile on my face, simple as that, it's not there for anyone else's benefit but mine, there's no one forcing you to buy one if you don't want one to why worry about it?
​mine has seen the inside of plenty of red deer, it is a functional time piece and gets covered in crap whenever I do.

But a rifle, shotgun will feel different, optics will perform better I can't see £10k worth of watch is going to tell the time that much better than a £100 timepiece or feel any different. I can understand craftsmanship involved but some of the price tags are massive. But then as said £10k to some people is the same as me buying a pint down the pub.

A Holland & Holland won't feel that diffent to a Beretta and yet both of them will kill birds or smash targets just the same. What you're paying for with the Holland & Holland is the hours of craftsmanship that went into making it.

A fine watch is no different. It will contain thousands of parts, many of them made and assembled by hand, and yet it can still tell the time to a fraction of a second year after year without the need for batteries or winding.

A watch - even a £1.99 job from the garage - is a real technical marvel, yet we barely give them a second thought and treat them as disposable items. What a shame.

​willie_gunn

Why buy a Rolex - to make a statement, people believe that it gives them status, the same reason people buy Range Rovers (a real knobs vehicle), flashy BMWs, etc. In reality most people with such cars haven't got a pot to pee in and they are up to their eyes in debt. In reality once you come into money the items you use to desire and think you would like become irrelevant as they are now within your reach and are of no interest, and anonymity becomes more important, in essence those that boast the most generally have the least.

My philosophy is to spend your money to make you happy and not to try and alter the way other people perceive you, I find it a sad fact that we have become so materialistic these days, and that people will get themselves into debt for the most stupid reasons.

How true.

Casio G Shock for me...

Daily I wear my £4 Casio , if I'm going to dinner etc ill wear a rotary or something similar . Things of beauty , nice wrist watches !

you buy what you want with your own money ? it's not for others to judge you really is it?

watches are not my thing , i've had my traser for years now and can't see me ever changing ?

my weakness if you can call it that is 911's and custom rifles oh and good vintage port and fine cuban cigars ! not everybodys cup of tea but it makes me happy and surely at the end of the day your own happiness is why we all have these hobbies and things?

How true.

Casio G Shock for me...

That is why this forum is so great, someone gives an opinion, containing a statistic with no evidence to back it up, someone else posts to say they agree with it, then I post to say that I think it is complete ********, and yet we can all still get on :)

I had a gold Rolex Oyster Datejust with a champagne dial and every time anybody asked me the time, I had to wriggle my wrist around so that I could see the hands because of the shine.
I have no idea what people thought, only once was I ever asked if it was a genuine Rolex.
After a period of ten years I got fed up with the 'shiny' dial and decided to either wear glasses or get rid of the watch !!
I decided to get rid of the watch and as a result of only having it serviced once during it's ten years with me and the wearing of it each day resulting in 'normal wear and tear' I lost £900 on it's original cost.
Apparently to get a Rolex serviced and refurbed today would cost an arm and a leg.
Now I wear an Omega Seamaster, steel case and black face, easier for me to see and no where near as costly as a Rolex.

About 20 years ago i was going through a dive watch every year or so ago (they were not that well made then). I was diving and flooding them or just trashing them. I bought a rolex submariner and have worn it ever since. I bought it second hand and it was made in 1967, same year as me. I never take it off, have used it down to over 100 mtr, and in every aspect of life. It has done parachute jumps, been firefighting, lots of stalking and fixing old landy. It has the older polycarbonate lens, and when i scratch it a wee rub with brasso removed the scratches.
I have no doubt it will still be going in another 45 years and still looks good. My son will wear it when i finish with it. It is now the best value watch i have ever owned, and though it has been serviced has never give a second of problems. To me it is not about being flashy or looking good, it would take much more than a watch to do that for me. It is about buying something of reliable quality, that will last a lifetime and not give problems. Good glass on a rifle is kind of the same. I have been through a few scopes and now have a couple of nice ones. I hope and expect them to last for decades, their performance day by day is really not that different to scopes costing 10% of what they do. A tiny percentage of the time their performance is way better, but if they last 20+ years and are also top performers their cost and value is justified.

I bought my (basic model) Rolex 23 years ago and it's still going strong - It cost me a months pay (£247) at the time and everyone said I was daft then!

Well, all I can say is I have a nice watch, and every time I look at it to tell the time it puts a smile on my face, simple as that, it's not there for anyone else's benefit but mine, there's no one forcing you to buy one if you don't want one to why worry about it?
​mine has seen the inside of plenty of red deer, it is a functional time piece and gets covered in crap whenever I do.

+1, except the red deer as I've only shot 1.

why buy a blaser or sauer when you could buy a cz?

why buy a Mercedes or BMW when you could buy a ford?

Exactly!

Why buy a Rolex - to make a statement, people believe that it gives them status, the same reason people buy Range Rovers (a real knobs vehicle)

Well that's a quite the generalisation...

I got a rolex as an 18th present,(actually 19th because the old man wanted to keep it for himself :lol:). I could do without it and still wear it when im gutting a deer ect. It isn't particularly flashy like some of the watches out there but it's nice to have,(I could quite happily stick to the clock on my phone). To be honest most folk don't even notice it's a rolex which is nice... people tend to make assumptions about you when they know that ;)

But at the same time, there's no pockets in a shroud.

They are indeed things of real beauty, but sadly there are so many VERY good fakes around these days that nobody believes they are real anyway. I'd never be able to wear anything like that myself for fear of either losing it or damaging it so it would ultimately live in the drawer as an 'investment'.
My stalking companion is a Casio G-Shock 'Mudman' which is awsome and appears to be indestructable! I don't have a good history with watches I'm afraid, with most ending up badly damaged. My first good one bought for me by my parents was a sad tale!:cry: I shoved by arm quickly down a rabbit hole to grab a rabbit+attached ferret and yanked them out. There must have been some perfectly shaped spikes of quartz,flint or possibly diamond which did a good little number on my new watch in both directions!!:doh:
I do have a nice one which I keep for best though these days. It also stops peoples dogs heading straight for my wrist as they seem to do when I wear my stalking watch!!!! No matter how much it is washed!!:lol:
MS

Back