c w d essex frirst one?

tonto

hi all. just got back from fantastic w/end stalking @ six churches estate sudbury with mr peter jagger and roger jones. went up a few weeks ago to finish off my level two. did the second and third stalk job done. must post it off today, anyway had the chance to go again this w/end just had to deer everwhere went over to some farms at belchamp st paul. stalked an shot a Chinese water deer on saturday 30th. peter said that they had never seen cwd here before and that it might be a first in essex? called back to show the gentleman farmer and he said yes i saw a few of those last year whilst combine harvesting so there must be more there.
anyway must say thanks to peter roger and sally for a very memorable trip.
all the best stephen

I cannot understand why he let you shoot it if he thought it may be the first one in Essex ?

Last edited:
Probably coz it was in season and he mite not want them on his land two good reasons

Oh and well done Tonto their only jealous take no notice :thumb:

Last edited:
Did 2 of my level 2 stalks with roger and Peter and there two of the best people you could ever stalk with!

Totally agree Mudman an R8user. And I'm Not jealous having shot plenty of C.W.D also Belchamp St.Pauls is in Suffolk. If the Stalkers did not know there was C.W.D around why shoot it !!!! Also by the sounds of it they Don't know the ground ( farmer say he saw them at Harvest)IMHO it's a shame to hear

Well done tonto
cwd need to be shot on sight if they not in Bedford ha ha
​regards andy

Probably coz it was in season and he mite not want them on his land two good reasons

Oh and well done Tonto their only jealous take no notice :thumb:

I'm in no way jealous having shot all species in UK, inc high end medals of all and plenty of foreign game.

I just find it odd that people see something , especially a species that hasn't spread very far, and shoot it. Just my opinion , that's all.

hi all. just got back from fantastic w/end stalking @ six churches estate sudbury with mr peter jagger and roger jones. went up a few weeks ago to finish off my level two. did the second and third stalk job done. must post it off today, anyway had the chance to go again this w/end just had to deer everwhere went over to some farms at belchamp st paul. stalked an shot a Chinese water deer on saturday 30th. peter said that they had never seen cwd here before and that it might be a first in essex? called back to show the gentleman farmer and he said yes i saw a few of those last year whilst combine harvesting so there must be more there.
all the best stephen

What was your reason for shooting it ?

I think the first one that stepped into Lincolnshire also got shot. At the least the guy who did it had the excuse (?) that he did not know what it was (!!!). That was the story I was told when I did my DSC1 anyway.

I think the first one that stepped into Lincolnshire also got shot. At the least the guy who did it had the excuse (?) that he did not know what it was (!!!). That was the story I was told when I did my DSC1 anyway.

Ignorance is NO excuse, was it in season I wonder or even on his ticket?
I personally think its a shame it was shot.....But they are not a natural species and landowners must have their way. We have a job to do. I personally wont shoot the first few munties when they arrive but should I?
Some of you say its greed(money), but look at it the other way....They are running a commercial shoot and shoot perhaps the only CWD, a real asset (commercially) that don't make em greedy, silly perhaps?
Gents there is always 2 sides to the coin and we should not judge what others do if legal on their own land.
Well done Tonto.

I have about 2,250 acres of CWD stalking on the Beds/Bucks border, and over the years I have stalked this area I have noticed the CWD gradually moving north into Northants, and I have no doubt into Essex.

Taking one CWD out is not the end of the world, especially if the farmer has seen several whilst cutting the harvest. Numbers of CWD depend on crop rotation on large arable areas, and also fox control. If there is one there will be more about, but it might be a while before they are really established as I believe their population only encrouches other areas by about 2% every year, so they spread slowly. This may have increased since they rightly put a season on the species, which would allow pregnant does to survive and produce offspring.

Its not always about money, and I am always suprised that some people think this way. Deer management comes through experience on the species and their habits, not all learnt through a book or by taking Level 1.

The habits of the Chinese water deer make it a very easy deer to spot and its breeding habits make it the most prolific
It will live in all sorts of countryside open or wooded wet or dry
These things should mean the cwd should be all over the country but sadly it isn't
I could show you some of my areas with a very high number of cwd one of these areas has a train line as its boundary and another has a small country lane as its boundary , as soon as the deer cross either boundary they get shot !
Im not criticising anyone as each stalker has their own reasons why they shoot them so hard but this is the main reason the spread of this charming little deer is so slow
Regards Andy

hi olaf.
well i shot it because i was asked if i wanted it, never shot one before and coming from south wales probably never have the importunity again.
regards stephen.

well done we don't need any more immigrants in essex :tiphat: :stir:

all the best stephen

Totally agree Mudman an R8user. And I'm Not jealous having shot plenty of C.W.D also Belchamp St.Pauls is in Suffolk. If the Stalkers did not know there was C.W.D around why shoot it !!!! Also by the sounds of it they Don't know the ground ( farmer say he saw them at Harvest)IMHO it's a shame to hear
Err , unless the river Stour has changed course over the last couple of weeks the Belchamp's are all south of the river in Essex
:smug:
Seriously though, i would not be suprised to find cwd in that area - the Stour starts in Camb's so the cwd may well be following the course of the river - which would make some sort of sense knowing how they spread .Fair few driven keepered shoots in and around that part of Essex / Suffolk so charlie has a hard time of it - another reason why cwd may becoming established , but very good to hear this - now they have only got to work their way down river another 8 miles and they will be appearing on some of my ground :D

Err , unless the river Stour has changed course over the last couple of weeks the Belchamp's are all south of the river in Essex
:smug:
Seriously though, i would not be suprised to find cwd in that area - the Stour starts in Camb's so the cwd may well be following the course of the river - which would make some sort of sense knowing how they spread .Fair few driven keepered shoots in and around that part of Essex / Suffolk so charlie has a hard time of it - another reason why cwd may becoming established , but very good to hear this - now they have only got to work their way down river another 8 miles and they will be appearing on some of my ground :D

I stand corrected as they say we learn something everyday I've stalked around there for 20yrs :tiphat:

Back