BUTTOLO CALL

W16OEN

I know the Roe rut is well on now but I have just bought a buttolo. I have an instruction leaflet but wondered if anyone can offer some experienced tips on its use? I am thinking along the lines of time of day, weather, will it work on other deer spp's, foxes. Interested to hear your comments / recommendations.
Thanks very much.

W16OEN

My first recommendation would be "be careful to not over-use it". Over-use will just educate the deer into avoiding it.

I have used the Buttolo successfully on both roe and muntjac. With munties although still unpredictable it will work all year round and at any time, whereas with roe it will work only in the rut. For roe, a muggy, thunderstorm-threatening afternoon is good, although to be fair I've also had bucks come running on a lovely summer morning.

The best explanation on when and how to call roe in the rut is still Richard Prior's tape/CD. I listen to my copy on the ipod when I'm travelling :D

For muntjac, when you use the call be very careful to look all around you - I've had them approach from behind and then spooked them when a shot should have been possible if only I'd been more observant.

I didn't find the calling in the roe rut particularly good this year - a couple of bucks showed interest and one came to the call - but nowhere near as good as the previous two years. I was talking to a stalker in Scotland yesterday and they'd found the same.

willie_gunn

Back