Drillings and Combination Guns

Heym SR20

Has anybody any experience of a Drilling or Combination Gun. Are they accurate with the rifle barrel. Would one scoped in 7x65R be accurate enough for hill stalking, or are they really just a short range, driven boar affair.

I have always liked the look of them.

Many thnaks

Heym SR20

Drilling / Combination guns

Drilling or combination guns can be very accurate with their rifled barrels. This is often due to the rigidity of the barrel offered by the other barrels.
However, if there is more than one rifled barrel do not exspect them to print to the same point of aim other than at the regulated distance with the stated ammunition.

Heym SR20 said:
Has anybody any experience of a Drilling or Combination Gun. Are they accurate with the rifle barrel. Would one scoped in 7x65R be accurate enough for hill stalking, or are they really just a short range, driven boar affair.

I have always liked the look of them.

Many thnaks

Heym SR20

They can be very accurate indeed. But they are not ideal for hill stalking.
I to have always liked their looks. Especially the top end O/U models.

I think they would be an ideal tool for use on that most effective form of Muntjac control a deer drive. Loaded with AAA's or SSG's and one of the larger calibres as the rifled barrel.

I thing Bruno make a good budget priced O/U model with a 9.3 rifled barrel.

Alecs said:
I think they would be an ideal tool for use on that most effective form of Muntjac control a deer drive. Loaded with AAA's or SSG's and one of the larger calibres as the rifled barrel.
quote]

But only the rifled barrel, I hope - I presume the shot loads would be in case of fox?

well well alecs you may hav touched a raw nerve here so await the back lash and well deserved i think
to suggest that SSG or AAA is what munties deserve to control them on a deer drive is beyond belief you may think it is fun but the injured deer won't
oh i hit that one hard it ran of that way it will be dead by morning (but which morning)
deer drives not a problem but atleast give the deer the respect it deserve a clean kill or the chance of, how much of a blood trail does shot gun wounds leave if you dont hav a good dog to help out
at the least a brennexe 1ounce slug should be used so why not just a legal calibre rifle they do come in semi autos even in 30cal
not against control in any form as long as it is effective with little suffering

Good on you stone - we don't drive deer in this country (move them, yes)

Keep it legal guys. And respect the quarry.

I live in England and have dsc2 and see little problem in using ssg loaded 12 bore cartridges as by far the most effective means of controlling a surplus of damaging muntjac.
All this bull**** snobbery of the rifle being a preferred tool for these particular beasts speaks volumes.
A good spaniel and a shotgun is the way too do the job.

i used to control my munties a one time with a shotgun and i had to get a licence to do this
do you still have to or have things changed?
how many times hav you had a munty run down your throat then turn into cover at the last second just as you pull the trigger so it gets shot up the rear end if lucky you disable it, easy to find ,just follow the squealing would you shoot it up the rear end with your rifle.
i think not
not got a problem with deer drives ,sorry mole, moving deer but why use a dog to move them, beaters walking through move deer a lot more slowly so the deer are not racing around with a dog up its butt allowing an easier shot for the gun
oh , unless you are doing walked up munty won't hav the deer run down your throat there then only running from you ,best get the spaniel a safety vest then in bright orange might help.
i wonder if i turn up for my level 2 assesment with a shotgun to shoot a deer what will happen.
did you pass your level 2 using a shot gun or a rifle?
this is not bull**** snobbery this is all about deer wellfare in my veiw to kill an animal with the least amount of suffering possible it is always going to be a good idea to hav a dog to help follow up any injured deer , no one i know using shotgun or rifle drops eveything they shoot on the spot my self included

shortshot said:
I live in England and have dsc2 and see little problem in using ssg loaded 12 bore cartridges as by far the most effective means of controlling a surplus of damaging muntjac.
All this bull**** snobbery of the rifle being a preferred tool for these particular beasts speaks volumes.
A good spaniel and a shotgun is the way too do the job.

I agree with everything you've said bar using a spaniel. A good team of experienced beaters would be my preferred method. A couple of strategically place back guns allows you to mop up any that decide to go back through the line.

stone said:
i used to control my munties a one time with a shotgun and i had to get a licence to do this
do you still have to or have things changed?
how many times hav you had a munty run down your throat then turn into cover at the last second just as you pull the trigger so it gets shot up the rear end if lucky you disable it, easy to find ,just follow the squealing would you shoot it up the rear end with your rifle.
i think not
not got a problem with deer drives ,sorry mole, moving deer but why use a dog to move them, beaters walking through move deer a lot more slowly so the deer are not racing around with a dog up its butt allowing an easier shot for the gun
oh , unless you are doing walked up munty won't hav the deer run down your throat there then only running from you ,best get the spaniel a safety vest then in bright orange might help.
i wonder if i turn up for my level 2 assesment with a shotgun to shoot a deer what will happen.
did you pass your level 2 using a shot gun or a rifle?
this is not bull**** snobbery this is all about deer wellfare in my veiw to kill an animal with the least amount of suffering possible it is always going to be a good idea to hav a dog to help follow up any injured deer , no one i know using shotgun or rifle drops eveything they shoot on the spot my self included

No need for a licence if you are the landowner or their agent. The 1968 Deer Act, regard a 12 bore shotgun as suitable for shooting deer. S.7 of the Deer Act 1991 states that it must a 12 bore, and using the following ammunition either rifled slug of not less than 22.68 grammes (350 grains) or AAA shot.

Guys - can I stop this here please. There are a number of misconceptions flying about and some people may start to believe them. Some readers may have already been given the impression that a landowner or his agent can shotgun muntjac with impugnity - THIS IS NOT SO.

The 1991 Deer Act, as amended with effect from 1 Oct 07 does allow authorised persons to shoot muntjac with shotguns using certain prescribed loads, but only under very specific conditions. These conditions do not apply to the majority of stalkers.

The January BASC magazine sums up the situation well (page 31) and is worth a read if you want to know more. Otherwise I suggest a visit to the Defra website or better yet go through the Act carefully. Ignorance of the law, as they say, is no defence after all. Who wants to put their FAC at risk - 'I read it on an Internet forum' will not stand up in court.

Suggesting that a rifle is the best tool for the job has nothing to do with bull**** snobbery. It is all about best practice (which is what I hope most of us here want) and working within the law.

Sermon ends ...........

sorry Heym SR20
did not mean to hi-jack your post as such,
but as mole says its all about best pratice and working within the law.
my beliefs of best practice will be different from others as can already be seen i hav done both disciplnes to very good affect, but now stick to what discipline i found most humane and worked best , i use a 243 with 100grain homeloads . no young muntys left to starve to death because their mother was shot on the hoof as so to say
i hav said my bit as this comes from the experiences i hav been part of in the past
ps do not have a problem with the people who use these methods just a problem with the methods and laws on them just keep it legal and keep it safe

Shotguns

Shortshot wrote

That's quite an aggressive reply. Are you sure you're on the right website Shortshot?

Rob
Editor

Shortshot, I have level 2 as well, if that means anything !! but I would still not use a shotgun on any deer. There is no snobbery attatched to using a rifle with deer, just a humane death most of the time. However with a shotgun even if at close range this percentage will drop and the chances of wounding any deer increases.

We are all entitled to our opinion, but I find your remark rather an alarming one for someone to make on a Deer Stalking Forum site, who I assume is a deer stalker?

Deer of any species, even a Muntjac deserve to be treated as the noble beasts that they are, not as vermin.

shotgun and deer, UHHHHGGG not a combination I wish to use... no thanks

:eek:
No doubting the power of the gear especially at close range, but not accurate enough.

not for me

Deer shooting should be as surgical as possible, and even then mistakes occur

My apologises to Heym SR20 too. But I can't lets this pass without comment. I agree with Stone, The Mole, Rob Mac, Sikamalc and Hind-sight. I don't believe what I am reading! I spend alot of time around Muntjac, to treat these animals like running targets is pure evil!
Just what we need when we are doing are best to promote good and sustainable deer management. I feel sick at the thought of it.
Alecs and Shortshot what must you be thinking? Get real or go away!

Beowulf said:
My apologises to Heym SR20 too. But I can't lets this pass without comment. I agree with Stone, The Mole, Rob Mac, Sikamalc and Hind-sight. I don't believe what I am reading! I spend alot of time around Muntjac, to treat these animals like running targets is pure evil!
Just what we need when we are doing are best to promote good and sustainable deer management. I feel sick at the thought of it.
Alecs and Shortshot what must you be thinking? Get real or go away!

"Get real or go away" Since when has this been your site?

When Muntjac reach the population levels that they capable of given ideal conditions, they are little more than vermin. Given the amount of habit damage they will do. Lets not forget that they are a alien species for this country just as the grey squirrel.

A choked 12 bore and AAA's at 15-20m will stop any Muntjac going. And is perfectly legal as long as the 1968 and 1991 acts are adhered to. Which isn't that hard to do. Plus they are in some circumstances a far safer control option than a c/f rifle.

Rising any deer to some mystical status as a beast of the chase, does none one any service least of all the deer themselves. They are a natural resource that require control and management. With out control you have no management. The Scottish red deer population explosion is a prime example of no control or management in practise. Hence the likes of Glenshee.

Alecs its not my site and its not yours either, but I bet you will be off it before I am. There are plenty of stalkers would give their right arm to get some stalking so why do you and your shotguning pals believe you have the monopoly on it. Say what you like your methods are not popular and do not help with the image the general public have of us. You will excuse me now, I've got to prepare for a morning stalk with a friend. Lots of deer to be culled but at safe distances and with rifles.

Beowulf said:
Alecs its not my site and its not yours either, but I bet you will be off it before I am. There are plenty of stalkers would give their right arm to get some stalking so why do you and your shotguning pals believe you have the monopoly on it. Say what you like your methods are not popular and do not help with the image the general public have of us. You will excuse me now, I've got to prepare for a morning stalk with a friend. Lots of deer to be culled but at safe distances and with rifles.

Steve

It is Steve isn't it?

"Alecs its not my site and its not yours either, but I bet you will be off it before I am"

Glad we've got that one sorted out. As for your last comment. You'll be claiming you can spit further next. Enough of this school boy boasting,lets get back to the subject shall we.

You're confusing your recreational stalking with population control. Something a lot of amateurs do. Just because certain individuals are desperate for some stalking does not make deer drives and the culling of muntjac with shotguns and AAA's any less effective. What makes you think anyone is trying to monopolise deer control?
The methods described are popular, because they work. They may not be you cup of tea, but that does not make them any less effective. I believe that the public opinion of shooters and stalkers has little to do with what the legal methods of control that are employed. A deer is just as dead if culled using a c/f rifle or a shotgun using AAA's at 15m.

Enjoy your mornings stalk, I was out this afternoon myself as I prefer to respect and abide by the old ways of not shooting on a Sunday. Be it with a shotgun or rifle.

Back