Stalking AM time?

wildfowler.250

What time is first light starting to come in at? Have to be honest and say that I haven't been up before 7 since the wildfowling ended!

Thanks in advance!

Cheers for the replies! I'll use those links and go earlier.

(​im up by inverness)

Just had a look and reckon its about a 5 am start? lovely :lol:

Last edited:
Its an interesting question. I shoot many of my deer well after dawn and that is dependant upon the area and the time of year; deer dont read books. Good luck when you go out.

Its an interesting question. I shoot many of my deer well after dawn and that is dependant upon the area and the time of year; deer dont read books. Good luck when you go out.

Thanks for that! I'm doing a bit of a scout tomorrow so thought I'd get there early and see if there's anything moving. Did see a dear at 9.30 today though so a lie in is tempting :lol:

I was in a seat today around 30-40 minutes before first light, the later you leave it the more dodgy it is in all honesty! Get in position early and wrap up very warm!!

Well I would say that if I was there 5.45/6 then that would have been fine,(so an extra half hour in bed would have been nice).

saw a doe and last years buck with it. Was slightly beyond 200 yards and I decided not to take the shot,(the spooked before I could relocate and stalk in). Zapped a feral with the .22-250 at a similar distance after that so could have maybe taken the shot after all.

​cheers for all the replies!

I dont envy you those hours John.
I've found despite stupid oclock starts that the majority of my deer, during winter months, are taken at around 9-10am and again at 1-2pm....Just my experience with roe anyway.
Summer is different with 5am and 10pm bucks.

I dont envy you those hours John.I've found despite stupid oclock starts that the majority of my deer, during winter months, are taken at around 9-10am and again at 1-2pm....Just my experience with roe anyway.Summer is different with 5am and 10pm bucks.
I have found the same with Sika and Fallow most shots this season were between 9am and 10am despite being in the forests well before the first hint of light.

During the height of summer I like to wait 'til the wife's gone to bed, then drive to the stalking ground, aiming to arrive about 23:30 or mid-night. A few hours kip in the car, fag and a quick brew at first light and start stalking after that. Doing it like that it's like you just magically appear on the ground without disturbing anything.

Back