Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Exploding mag

Exploding mag

Hi whilst out this morning with the 17hmr , popping away as normal pulled the trigger and then BANG i felt impact on my left hand "luckily gloved" along with bits of mag and rounds . withdrew the bolt and the back of the shell case had blown out , also no daylight down the barrel . So straight home no choice really , fingers crossed with the cleaning rod and easily pushed the bullet out , So ok is this a faulty round or have i somehow not closed the breech properly , albeit i have tried to fire with the bolt semi lifted and it does not want to fire , any ideas as to whats happened , i have tried the rifle out and all now seems to work fine , well it does with another mag . thanks gerry

There's a bit of this going round with HMR's. Definitely only one bullet up the barrel?

A few have had squib rounds deposit a bullet up the barrel and then the next round blows the mag out like you have described!

.17 hmr heads again

Gun Problem - Exploded round, inside .17 HMR gun ???
    Last edited by csl; 04-04-2013 at 14:31.

Was the shot before a definite hit ?
    I would have though a squib round left a bullet in the bore, second shot may well have cleared that stuck bullet, left another and the pressure did the rest.
    The reason my HMR was sold, didn't want it to happen to me, I was lucky in that I only had split cases, never got as far as the rest of it.
    Previously I had had enough problems with and HM2 to last a lifetime.

Ho Ho, When I read about these magical Hmrs and all their problems it makes me wonder if it's the quarry fighting back
    Perhaps the quarry has gained some mystical powers and with the help of 'Thought Transfer Powers' has found the ability to fight back.
    Rather thought provoking isn't it.

I know it's a serious problem but I just couldn't resist the dig because I am still looked down upon when I talk about my .222 and have not 'upgraded' to the modern 17Hmr !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by EMcC; 04-04-2013 at 15:02.

Bullet stuck up the barrel??? again!!! It's happened too often to be a fluke.
    IMHO the 17 HMR rifle and ammunition is one set up to avoid -I believe it to be "NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE"!! & AN ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN!!
    How long before someone gets badly injured or worse????
    If anyone does get severely injured / killed the HSE could / should get involved with possible repercussions to other aspects of shooting. We don't want that!!

Judge baby, I rest my case.

Not only is the HMR useless, it is a danger to man and beast.

Work of the devil.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Work of the devil.
    My sentiments and I also own one... Rifle well built (CZ452 left hand with a Timney trigger) but the ammo!!!!
    CCI 20grain not bad as is old Federal 17grain but Hornady and Winchester shoot like a 410 without the end effect.

I often wonder about rebarrelling to 22WMR.

Which make of ammo? I know of problems recently in Sussex with Remington.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Some one is going to make a fortune one day rechambering .17hmr rifles in a decent chambering, something reliable, flat shooting and safe. There again they could make a fortune just making reliable safe ammunition.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Thanks for all the replies , i will read in full in a min, Quick answer yes one head up the spout , thats what i thought as soon it it went bang , but when i got home and litterally hand pushed the rod from muzzle to breech out popped one head/bullet .