Chiller Hang Time

Firefly

Having just got my first chiller can anyone tell me if there is a maximum time a carcass can hang for within a chiller. Ie is there a legal maximum before going to a dealer or being butchered?

Thanks,

Ff

Just had a fallow in for 9 days no problem and didn't even have the chiller switched on its been that cold !!
​Norma

I have hung sika for 21 days with the skin on and they are great eating but skin off and they dry up like an old prune.
my chill is fairly old I am sure the new ones have all sorts of fancy gadgets to stop the carcus drying out.

stevie

Remember to cool the carcass slowly else you will make the meat tough. Something to do with the muscles not being able relax. Dave Stretton reccomends to turn the chiller on when putting the carcass in then they cool at a steadier rate. Someone else may be able to give some more detail to this.

i do muntjac for 5 days
roe for 7-14 days
fallow for 10-14 days
depending on size/age of animal
kept at 6c in the fur , i sometimes use a 50/50% vinegar /water mix to wipe the inside of the carcass out if hanging for a longer time to prevent any mould growth
on the inside of the carcuss [note when i do this the fresh /clean cloth i will use is only damp NOT wet i dont want to promote a bacterial bloom ]
ive been doing this for many years ,i must add this is for my own consumption and only my opinion
​hope this helps

agree fully with all previous members.
important point is always keep the skin on.
personally i always hang my sika deer in a cool room for atleast 2 weeks.

Venison and indeed any dark game meat can hang for up to 4 weeks in a chiller. I used to hang lambs for 10 days without any problems whatsoever.
Venison does tend to dry out if skinned,especially with condensor fanned internal chiller units.

If carcasses are going to dealers I keep them as short a time as possible, but for home use 7 - 14 days is about right.

Personally I have never found rapid chilling to have any influence on meat texture or toughness. I believe the events immediately before the animals death to have a greater bearing on that aspect.

Venison is not like beef it does not need to hang for 10 plus days.

Get it in and prepped within 10 days if you want the best out of it.

and to answer the other question, there are no legal limits that i am aware of but your dealer may want a maximum time hanging as he has to deliver the animals; and he will know what time he wants as a maximum.

Back