What calibre?

crackshot

i was granted a 222-50 and a 243 i have been bouncing between the two calibres, now coming to buy a rifle i can't choose which one. i was hoping some people could help me by telling me pros and cons for each calibre. i will be using it to shoot everything from rabbits to roe deer.

buy both....not very helpfull but hey thats what I would do.

By the way best if you do an introduction before admin get on you

buy the 243 then you can go shoot reds as well with 100 grain bullets

i was granted a 222-50 and a 243 i have been bouncing between the two calibres, now coming to buy a rifle i can't choose which one. i was hoping some people could help me by telling me pros and cons for each calibre. i will be using it to shoot everything from rabbits to roe deer.

REALLY !!!! ... you would shoot rabbits with those calibres ? .... you need help !

I shoot rabbits now and again with bigger than that.... it's a good way to check zero and leave something to attract foxes to later on.

Er, change the .243 for a .308 or some such. You have a capable enough roe/munty/CWD rifle in the .22-250, open the gap out a bit.

ATB,

Scrummy

I shoot rabbits now and again with bigger than that.... it's a good way to check zero and leave something to attract foxes to later on.

come on ! blitzing a bunnie with those cals don't tell you if you are an inch high or low. Whats wrong with a paper target to get an accurate assessment of you zero ?

REALLY !!!! ... you would shoot rabbits with those calibres ? .... you need help !

The 22.250 was developed as a varmint round - so why do you think a round that was created for shooting varmints, is not suitable for shooting varmints :-|

PS - before you say it will destoy them - Just aim a little higher than the shoulders , and below its ears

come on ! blitzing a bunnie with those cals don't tell you if you are an inch high or low. Whats wrong with a paper target to get an accurate assessment of you zero ?

It does if you go for a head shot! I took a rabbit at 150 odd yards with a .22-250 to the head. You couldnt have done a neater job with a knife!

You won't go far wrong with a .243 I started with one and used it on the hill for hinds for years just be a bit careful when shooting in woodland co's they'll deflect on the smallest twig

243 bud with 55g its ziping down rainge for fox roe 80g for real distance on fox roe 100g for reds the 22.250 is a good gun but cant keep up with a 243 on most game the 243 is a good killing gun in the right hands if you reload i can recomend varget powder 36g from a lapua brass with cci primer and 80g nosler btip set 10thoe from rifeling as a real good all round fox deer round

Ahhh just remember that the .243 Winchester is also illegal at Bisley or on any Military speced range once one drops bullet weight slightly. If I recall correctly 3275 fps in the limit.

This daft rule is why many years ago I had to get rid of my BSA CF2 in 22-250 as they would not allow it one the ranges there.

243 is used quite a bit in the states, and has taken some decent sized Elk (like a big Red or Stag) at reasonable range,
​shot placement and a stout bullet like Partition or A-Frame is a must ! Great cartridge !

Back