Advice on after shooting a deer

jodi

I have just started stalking, done my DSC1 and now have some ground to stalk on. I have been on a couple of accompanied stalks but never manage to shoot anything. I went to my permission yesterday and although I never shot anything I thought that if I did, what would I do with the carcass, might sound stupid but getting out stalking was my main concern, not really what to do with it after Reading on here it seems that you have to hang the deer in a chiller for 7 days or so. I will be using the meat for my own consumption so if I shoot something can I butcher it and freeze it on the same day or would I be better trying to get a chiller and hang it. It will be mainly Roe deer

Thanks'

i would'nt worry too much about it. get some shot first then butcher them and enjoy the taste!! the further you get into this the more you can expand your methods and find out what your taste buds like.

You can butcher it and freeze on the same day. Done this with most of my venison and tastes fantastic.

I have just started stalking, done my DSC1 and now have some ground to stalk on. I have been on a couple of accompanied stalks but never manage to shoot anything. I went to my permission yesterday and although I never shot anything I thought that if I did, what would I do with the carcass, might sound stupid but getting out stalking was my main concern, not really what to do with it after Reading on here it seems that you have to hang the deer in a chiller for 7 days or so. I will be using the meat for my own consumption so if I shoot something can I butcher it and freeze it on the same day or would I be better trying to get a chiller and hang it. It will be mainly Roe deer

Thanks'

I think you are perfectly right in seeking advice.
DSC1 leaves people with no knowledge about what to do with an animal once you have bagged it.
My advice would be to find a mentor to come out with you until you bag at least 2x deer. To teach you the gralloch, to try to give you some insight. A mentor should be happy to help you and show you the ropes as it is all to easy to mess up a carcass after you've shot it.
I hang to what I call 40 degrees. Take the days high temp and add each day up until you go over 40 degrees. A little less for yearlings though.
Example day 1= 8, day 2=12, day 3= 10, day 4=10, bingo 8+12+10+10=40 time to butcher
ATB

Thanks' Teyhan, but how do you find a mentor?

Well Jodi, 1st it needs to be someone you can trust. You don't want them taking your hard won ground off you.
I'd say find someone off here. There are lots of good people off here
Offer say a split of the carcass for their time and maybe pay for their petrol. That'll keep your costs down.

With regards to your ground, keep your rifle at home. Spend some time on the ground learning about the animals you have and what their favorite places are. But don't over do it. Stomping round your ground day after day stalking deer that your not yet going to shooting will only spook the hell out of them and mix it up. Don't always stalk in from the same direction and the same route. Once or twice go into the area the deer come from, look at what they can see ( particularly applicable to woods ) it'll teach you where your approaches should be from

I'm sure someone around that location you have, that I have no idea how to say will be along shortly!!

This is the exact same reason that I am looking to go out with experienced stalkers before I take the DSC1, and after if needs be as I want to be sure i am gralloching the beast properly after the shot. Call me wierd but I am looking forward to this almost as much as grassing my 1st deer, as I enjoy the technical and butchering side equally as much as shooting!!

Cheers

Stratts

I would suggest a few paid day or even contact this guy Available: Dmq level 2 training don't know him personally but heard good reviews, won't teach you your own ground but will more than likely teach you most things you know. Also you won't need to worry about mentor taking your ground.

Edit: I know that says level 2 Trainning but if you read the post it also says about giving novices some training.

No discredit to you Jodi but this is what I find absolutely crazy about level 1. You have achieved this qualification which as we all know includes large game handling. You are now a "trained hunter" and looked upon as being in a position of being able to inspect the head, the pluck and the viscera but in reality you have never shot a deer. All credit to you seeking advice.

I would suggest that being in the Renfrewshire area that you contact Widows Son and appeal to his better side (he does have one) to help you out. He certainly will keep you right and you will learn quickly. He will not miss you and hit the wall but I could guarantee you will learn and that he will not steal your ground.

No discredit to you Jodi but this is what I find absolutely crazy about level 1. You have achieved this qualification which as we all know includes large game handling. You are now a "trained hunter" and looked upon as being in a position of being able to inspect the head, the pluck and the viscera but in reality you have never shot a deer. All credit to you seeking advice.

I would suggest that being in the Renfrewshire area that you contact Widows Son and appeal to his better side (he does have one) to help you out. He certainly will keep you right and you will learn quickly. He will not miss you and hit the wall but I could guarantee you will learn and that he will not steal your ground.

Exactly my bones with dsc1. It's rubbish. Can't believe I'm taking it this month. I learn't more on my BASC woodland deer course in 1992.
Come on widows son

That's not true of all DSC1 courses. I shot my first Roe Buck on my DSC1 with Jelen. A number of people did including one lad that got to cull a pretty big Red from the park herd.

It's a foundation. Given that my rifle was only granted by Surrey on the grounds I passed DSC1 it was something I had to do.

​Starting out any other way is hard. Good on you Widows Son.

Exactly my bones with dsc1. It's rubbish. Can't believe I'm taking it this month. I learn't more on my BASC woodland deer course in 1992. Come on widows son
One of the reasons I've held off taking it for so long ,I went with a mentor and learnt so much more in a couple of trips .you will find a mentor very rewarding and maybe make a great pal,Dsc1 is not the be all and end all but we will all have to take it sooner or later .hope I can mentor someone in the future and give a little back .well done WS.
Norma

Jodi if the beast is for your own consumption you can hang it in your shed or garage. Now how long depends on the temp. Right now in these current weather conditions I would leave it no more than 2 days. Check the carcass every morning that it is hung. Ive hung Roe in May and had to butcher them thr next morn as they would be turned that evening. Now make sure you have split the rib cage all the way down to access the pluck for removal and continue this cut to where your removed the head. Then cut between the back legs to expose the pelvic bone and cut this on both sides this is where your meat is the thickest and you also now have access to the bladder to remove it without bursting it. Now as you will be well aware the ideal temp for hanging a carcass is 4 degrees and the maximum is 7 degrees any higher and the carcass can turn. If you need any further advice pm me.Nutty

That's why I never have done level 1 % 2 as I weighed up the costs and new I'd benefit more from actually being out there learning hands on. Having those certificates in my view just gives you a good level of a understanding into stalking. With a good mentor you should learn more and certainly gain more valuable knowledge than being as such in a class room.

A mate of mine had just acquired land holding red and roe he mentioned about doing his level 1 asap due to having only shot gun experience. I told to hang fire for as long as he can and I'll show him from testing wind directions, taking the shot then butchering it of course no charge. Folk well some have given me there own time and effort its my way giving something back.

Yes I assumed on a DSC1 which had the food handleing bit you should at least chop up a deer at last th From shot to in fur hand over bit and a bit of butchering for home use
Should be almost as important as makeing sure you ahve a safe backstop as a cock up could kill at a much greater range than your rifle

IVe doen several pig and domestic Butchery courses and plenty of shot small game and preped and eaten
But never a deer etc and pretty sure i could apply what i Know but A big thanks to Teyhan 1 who took me outto stalk my first deer and ran thro the gralloch and explained all the points etc which i videoed for future use

after a couple more supervised I would be happy on my own well always handy if thers 2 to carry it back to the car :D

Thanks' for all the advice, I really appreciate it and especially to Cadex and Widows son for offering their help. It's great that the people on here are willing to go out there way to help, thanks' again

Back