Thread: Lucky day

Lucky day

​Good afternoon, my name is Sean and I have been lucky enough to win a place on the SD level1 bursary. One of the conditions before applying was that I would write a blog of a sort with where I am in the world of shooting. I am no english scholar but I will try my best to make my posts as readable as possible.

I may as well make a start, as you now know I'm Sean, I'm 26 from Wigan and my history with shooting as a sport in general is as follows. My father had always had air rifles when he was growing up but when I was born stopped going out. He did keep his theoben scirocco and this is the seed that got me to where I am today. I would always nag him to shoot cans and magazines in the garden. When we moved from bolton to Wigan it sort of got stored in a cupboard untouched until I turned 18-19 when a mate got a job on a farm who had the occasional rat that wanted shooting. After spending many hours over looking a pile of dumped horse manure where the rats took residence I was hooked.

At this stage I wasn't sure if it was the shooting or purchasing all things gun related that really got the fire burning but I soon bought more airguns and went onto shooting feral pigeons and rabbits around the farm until one day the farm next door who has a stables and a golf course asked me to shoot his rabbits. This is my main permission to this day and also where I got my fac granted for my rimfire. Which I've now had for two and a half years. I currently have a .17hmr and a slot for .22lr (I had one but I had to sell it. Needs must) I also recently got a .223 in December (unfortunately this isn't on an open ticket, the rimfires are)

I met Si from this forum off a different shooting forum in October. I had a fox on the golf course that needed dealing with and as I didn't have fox conditioned on my .17 or a suitable calibre I ask him to help. That night as we was chatting about all things shooting he mentioned his passion for deer stalking. At the time he was the only person I knew with any experience of shooting deer and I absorbed everything I could. One thing I found out was that deer stalking wasn't as expensive as I had originally thought. Ok at the minute I can't afford to start booking days left right and centre but at least the prices are achievable one day. I thought it would be in the thousands (long story but I was misinformed) for the cheapest outing. After showing an interest Si suggested I join this site. Thankyou.

After being a member for a short while a gent from the forum pm'd me introducing himself as he lives 5 minutes from me. It wasn't long before he generously offered to take me on his syndicate for my first attempt at stalking a deer. My episode is written here-
    Thankyou wingy (again wingy thankyou) and that is my experience of deer so far. After gaining my dsc I will keep you up to date with any days I've booked shooting and maybe a few of my evenings after foxing or out after the bunnies.

I've crammed a few years into a few lines so I'm sorry if it doesn't read well. Thankyou to everyone behind the SD level1 bursary. It is very much appreciated.
    Thankyou for reading, Sean.
    Last edited by seanct; 06-04-2013 at 19:18.

Nice one Sean and the best of luck with your level 1, im sure you will enjoy it,

Well done and good luck from one burser(?!) to another!!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Nice one Sean, I'm sure you will enjoy. Speak soon

Cheers gents. I'm excited.

Enjoy the course and every minute out!
    Good luck for the DSC 1 and the start of your stalking career!

People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.