Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Its goodnight from me and it`s goodnight from him ...

Its goodnight from me and it`s goodnight from him ...

I had my first certificate in 1976 .. in the days when shotguns were sold in mail order catalogues and you could stand you gun in the corner of your bedroom or under your bed or where ever you saw fit. I started my ferreting days at six years old with my dad on the market garden i was born and bred on. Saturday afternoons were spent picking pigeons up for my dad out on the peas and whatever else needed protecting.
    My dad still frowns on shooting on Sundays, always has and always will but he`s old school and i love him for it.
    It`s taken me over a year to make this decision but now i`m thinking the time is right. I`m giving the game up lock stock and barrel.
    I`ll be honest, if it wasn`t for Jon i`d probably done this sooner. Jon gave me alot of oportunities in Dorset which kept my dreams alive but as we all know nothing lasts forever. I`m also finding myself thinking about family issues more and more and my grandkids are my world, especially where their health is concerened.
    Though i`m selling up i`m not leaving the SD, i`ve made quite a few friends on here and thankfully those friends have always supported me on my fund raising activities for The Childrens Unit. In just over three years i`ve raised just over 7000 for various childrens charities in the UK and it`s on going.
    In alot of respects i`m not sad because the years have given me a brilliant ride and some fantastic memories. No doubt one day i`ll miss it but hey .....
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Instead of being out & about doing what you used to do, why not write some of them down?

There should be enough stories within a short time to get a book'd be a good fund-raiser too

I heard you shot all Jon's deer and nobody else would take you out

Atb to you and congratulations on the fund raising

Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

I'm sure Jon will keep a few for you if you feel the need to get out again.
    Your fundraising has inspired lots on here and I'm sure will continue to do so.
    i'm a relative newcomer to this passion but I hope when the time comes for me to hang up my rifles it'll be with the same respect you've attained.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Hard to see anyone leave the shooting arena and it is the same with you John,mate I wish you all the best for whatever the future holds for you mate.

Things happen on our life and our focus moves into other areas. I used to be a biker now I'm a motorcycle enthusiast. It happens. The most important thing as long as you are happy.
    Good luck with the future.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Keep the memories (maybe collected in a book) and good luck for your future!
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

Perhaps sell your guns and if you don't already have one buy a HD video camera, great for filming the family and your grand children, brings back memories, and you can still go deer stalking but with a camera instead of a rifle, just an idea.
    Well done on raising so much money for good causes.
    Deer stalking and fly fishing opportunities in Devon

John, all the very best to you and your family. Keep in touch. Regards, Rupert

That's a shame to hear basil, but what I can never understand is why when people pack it in it has to be all or nothing. If other things are taking centre stage in your life right now why not just scale it down a bit? Keep a rifle and a shotgun maybe?

Whatever you decide to do though I wish you well with it, and nice to see you sticking with the SD!