death in the family

trouble

my cousine just died , he had a shotgun for clay shooting thats locked in his cabinet . Whats the next move

Do you know where the keys are?

You can either as an SGC Holder go and take possession, or call in an RFD to take possession, for the family and hold or dispose of the gun as the next of kin see fit.

I understand in some circumstances the FLO will issue a temporary Cert to a family member to enable them to take a gun to an RFD for disposal.

Organise possession then notify the FLO of the death of the Cert Holder. This avoids uncomfortable scenes with an Armed Response Unit turning up to take the guns.

Under no circumstances should a non SGC holder have possession of the gun to take it to an RFD or to the Police for disposal. Unlawful Possession carries a mandatory 5 year prison sentence and people have been jailed for turning in a gun at the local Police Station!

Last edited:
As above
on a practical note don't worry about actually getting it out if its in a Bratton sound cabinet. I had a problem a while ago where the lock on mine ceased to function and I called bs, they sent out a locksmith and he had it open in about 2 minutes!
my sympathies on your loss.
​mike

temporary certificate issued to spouse or next of kin for belt and braces coverage

aside from the issue of not having keys to the cabinet, a non SGC holder having keys to the cabinet etc etc

for shotguns there are certain loopholes
Technically if his estate has been left to someone they will be the new legal owner,
despite potentially not being legally able to hold them without a valid SGC

Shotguns can however be transferred or loaned without the FAC equivalent variation (you can loan a shotgun for 72hrs without notification)
get it added to someones SGC (either with consent from the FLO and/or consent by the new owner) or collected by an RFD

+1
sorry for your loss.
in real life the keys will be found do't worry you have more on your plate at the moment than how did you know the location of some keys!

temporary certificate issued to spouse or next of kin for belt and braces coverage

aside from the issue of not having keys to the cabinet, a non SGC holder having keys to the cabinet etc etc

for shotguns there are certain loopholes
Technically if his estate has been left to someone they will be the new legal owner,
despite potentially not being legally able to hold them without a valid SGC

Shotguns can however be transferred or loaned without the FAC equivalent variation (you can loan a shotgun for 72hrs without notification)
get it added to someones SGC (either with consent from the FLO and/or consent by the new owner) or collected by an RFD

My condolences, Is there a friend of the family with an SGG get it put on his ticket through an RFD until you decide what to do with it.

My condolences, Is there a friend of the family with an SGG get it put on his ticket through an RFD until you decide what to do with it.

No need to go through a dealer, just sign them on to the certificate and notify the police of the trasfer.

Back