dented cases

Ted47

Question for all you helpful folk

Is it possible to fire cases which have dints on the shoulders caused by excess lubricant? I have a few which I never noticed until further cleaning . I understand that this would causes greater pressures in the cases due to the volume inside being smaller now but could light loads be used, and would the cases go back to size after firing?

Thanks Leon

RCBS dies are fond of this. You need to give the sizing die a clean.

Redding dies, press was sticking on extraction so i tried a little extra lube , maybe too much I guess, press worked fine but a few cases had indentations.

what is the best way to clean out the dies ?

Redding dies, press was sticking on extraction so i tried a little extra lube , maybe too much I guess, press worked fine but a few cases had indentations.

what is the best way to clean out the dies ?

Yes Redding use the same type of vent hole as RCBS. I cleaned mine with a tooth brush and Nitro solvent, P-H 009 in my case, then made sure the vent was totally clear with a small drill in my fingers.

In my die collection there are dies by Lee, RCBS, Redding and Lyman.

If they are the typical small lube dents, just load and shoot as always.~Muir

+1 just shoot them as normal thay will just re fireform clean your dies ,job done

1/some rcbs die's have a small vent hole at the top in thread have alook on the net
2/ i use a mop brush in the drill stand with stp carb cleaner and mop it out the wash it in ultra sound
atb
paul

Last edited:
I would be careful putting dies in the ultrasonic cleaner. I put a Hornady die in the ultrasonic cleaner and the coating went black. Regards JCS

Last edited:
i only use dillon or rcbs so ! on horn dies never like them when i saw them at the shot show years ago look cheap steel as set i saw had a dent in thread new in box ?
i use a cleaner that a dentice mate gets for me spec for chrome -st-steel -moly tool steel etc it dos't send anything black or dull but i know what you mean, should have added this info :doh:don't know what i's called i get it in a 1pint bottle as it come's buy the gal and expensive ,boiling out would do the same , as this was what we used to do when useing a lubersizer with hand made lead bullets 100yrs ago used to gum up the dies, after all its lube hopefully not dirt that is denting the cases
:tiphat:
paul o'

Last edited:
Overnight soak in kerosene (heating oil) then a brush out with a small diameter bottle brush ,final rinse and leave to dry,clear the vent hole with a matchstick or toothpick .

:old:

Hmmm seems many do not know just how small the vent hole is. Just pulled a few sets of dies out. The Redding ones I have now are for the .458 Winchester cartridge so a three die set and DO NOT have a vent hole.

These RCBS ones for 303 British do however:-

P4080382_zpsd85743c8.jpg

As do these RCBS 270 Win dies. Drill measures 0.0375" (0.95mm):-

P4080383_zps1b22abe1.jpg

No way is a match stick going to fit. Tip of a fine tooth pick might.

I heard of vent holes but never noticed them , see you learn something new on this forum every day. cheers lads !

Just measured my ancient set of rcbs dies ,the hole is 1.6 mm ,toothpick easy down the hole ,dinky foreign matches tighter but still fit !I only have one set of rcbs I currently use ,my even older pistol ones don't have a hole at all !

:old:

Not all RCBS sets have a vent hole going by those I have here. My 6.5x54MS dies have no vent neither do teh 243 Win ones that I can see. Those that do have small vent holes. the tip of a cocktail still will enter but that's it the stick measures 2.0 mm the mark the holes left measure about 1.0 mm.

Edit:- The 270 Win dies were the first set I ever bought and they were S/H even then so I really do not know how old they are.

correct some dont
rcbs pdf file on how to
hope this helps

[h=3]Case Forming and Trim Dies Instructions - RCBS[/h]www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/CaseFormingAndTrimDies.pdfSimilar
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View

Not all RCBS sets have a vent hole going by those I have here. My 6.5x54MS dies have no vent neither do teh 243 Win ones that I can see. Those that do have small vent holes. the tip of a cocktail still will enter but that's it the stick measures 2.0 mm the mark the holes left measure about 1.0 mm.

Edit:- The 270 Win dies were the first set I ever bought and they were S/H even then so I really do not know how old they are.

Just to chip in. Denting can also be down to getting lube on the case shoulder, not the end of the world though...

Back