Deer on Countryfile tonight - BBC1!

countryfile on now

discussing the problems of Deer over population on now.
sinbad

I was more interested in the fact NORTHAMPTONSHIRE was on the show ,we don't have the same deer problem as Suffolk ,Norfolk ..........................UNFORTUNANTLY ! :rolleyes:

​Norma

Same old drum being beaten, showing the same piece of film taken off Youtube (I believe) of Fallow in Ashdown Forest. Pity the Forestry Commission dosnt open up more land for stalking in England. I find it funny that they always seem to have a FC stalker and refer to areas mostly under FC control, that still seem to have deer problems.

That's right on my doorstep:) that concrete tunnel they were interviewing was an old road they cut off when they built the m25, I've walked through there many a times.

Figures were way off IMO

FC cull 1100 deer in a huge area.....
100,000 as a total estimated cull in England.....

Same old drum being beaten, showing the same piece of film taken off Youtube (I believe) of Fallow in Ashdown Forest. Pity the Forestry Commission dosnt open up more land for stalking in England. I find it funny that they always seem to have a FC stalker and refer to areas mostly under FC control, that still seem to have deer problems.

very well said malc

The stalking part was done on the east side of a hill near where I live...I know it very well, I shoot on the west side of the same hill...havent seen many Roe there in the past, then my mate met the FC stalkers, got talking to them, and they told him, they took 40 Roe off their side last year...:) The stalker Ben Harroway, is a great guy ...he's the FC Ranger Manager, ( used to be called the head ranger) he did a great talk at the CAD day we were at through SD on 2nd march...VERY clued up young man..:)

I saw the area the land in glasgow was the ground we managed and if it had been three years ago there would have been plenty of deer in the film but sadly they got culled out and now the deer are few and far between compaired to what it was like. I am sure they could have shown a bit more of the positives and negatives in stead of the same old middle of the road stuff. ;)
Malc i think the problem is the FC stalkers will do the filming for free and are normally well educated chaps. But they still need to be on permission to hold a rifle.

Back