Thread: Need advice on an FAC!

Need advice on an FAC!

Am I able to get a provisional FAC if no one else in my household has one? My dad used to but he doesn't anymore. I am 15. Any information on this would be really helpful. Cheers.

No such thing as a "provisional"FAC" Euan. You either have a FAC or you don't.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Well whatever i need,isit possible for me to get 1?

I believe it may be possible but I have no experience of a young shooter gaining a FAC other than where a close relative also shot. I think you will need to speak to your local firearms department and seek their views on the subject, though I believe there may be some information on the BASC website relevant to your situation.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

EUAN call your local firearms team mean while hope this helps local news - Northern Constabulary › Local Policing areaHighlandsInvernessCached
    You +1'd this publicly. Undo
    ... Safety, rural policing, police authority, firearms licensing, police careers, Inverness, Ardersier, Beauly, Cannich, Culloden, Drumnadrochit, Fort Augustus. ... Team Welcome to the Police Scotland website - Police Scotland
    team.html ...

Firearm Certificates (FAC)
    A firearm is, broadly speaking for certification purposes, any lethal, barrelled weapon which isn't a shotgun or an airgun or a "prohibited weapon". The term "prohibited weapon" covers a multitude of devices including, but not limited to, machine guns, rocket launchers, pepper sprays, semi-automatic and pump-action centrefire rifles, disguised firearms, grenades, torpedoes and "any firearm which either has a barrel less than 30cm in length or is less than 60cm in length overall" (the most common member of this last group is a cartridge loading pistol). For the purposes of legal possession of a firearm, effectively the above leaves black powder weapons (both rifles and pistols), manually loaded centre-fire cartridge rifles (and all types of .22 rimfire rifles), and manually loaded cartridge pistols with dimensions larger than those defined above. All these weapons are what are termed "Section 1" firearms and are held on a Section 1 Firearms Certificate (there are other Sections for different categories of firearms, for example machine guns are in Section 5 and historic breech-loading firearms are in Section 7). It is difficult for private citizens to obtain an FAC for other than one covering Section 1 firearms. An application for an FAC can be obtained from any police station. form 101 For an application to be successful applicants must demonstrate to the police that they have satisfactory security in place. They must also demonstrate that they have "good reason to possess" firearms and must produce such "good reason" for each individual firearm applied for. Unlike the SGC an FAC only gives authority for specific individual rifles , and the applicant must justify possession of each one separately. Applicants must nominate two referees to support their application and must declare all criminal convictions, no matter how old or trivial. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply in respect of firearms legislation. Once granted an FAC is valid for five years. A person over the age of 18 may be granted an FAC and may then buy firearms and ammunition as authorised by the certificate. An FAC may also be granted to a person between 14 and 18, but this will only authorise the possession of the firearms specified thereon - it will not authorise the purchase of firearms or ammunition. FACs are not granted to anyone under the age of 14.

I would have thought that providing you meet the criteria that we all have to, have supportive parents and possibly an experienced mentor I can't see a problem. Have a word with your local constabulary and BASC if you are a member.