Thread: Very unusual growth on Fallow doe neck

Very unusual growth on Fallow doe neck

Last night I shot very unusual fallow. The doe had been spotted in our local area several times recently with what had appeared to be a large flap of skin hanging from her neck. Assumed to be either a barbed wire injury or damage from a bad neck shot from poachers (it is out of season after all) it was decided that if she was seen, she would be culled on welfare grounds as she would likely be flyblown and maggoty. On inspecting her the "flap" turned out to be a very large growth about the size firmness and shape of a mango. It was feed by blood vessels and attached through a tube of skin. She was about 3 years old but had not produced a fawn this year. She was very heavy with fat but otherwise in reasonable condition. None of her glands showed any signs of disease. Has anyone come across this or similar before? If you want a picture please pm and I will forward one to you.

Thanks for any suggestions - FF

i wouldnt mind having a look at a pic please,

Could you please post good close up photo/s and then cut into it say mid line and say whether soft or hard and anything else you notice plus a close up photo of the cut surface ? Will try and make diagnosis.

The Answer!

I have recieved the following replies from our own mod and Peter Green who is the BDS Hon Vet:

From Peter Green:

Thanks for these pics - excellent quality and a good example of a pedunculated fibroma. I have only ever seen these on fallow and usually on the ventral abdomen, although I have one other cervical [neck] example.

Its a benign fibrous tumour of the skin, which starts as a subcutaneous lump but becomes so dense and heavy that it sags within a sack of loose skin. I had a fallow doe last month with about twelve of these, although none as big as this one. Could be viral in origin, but not sure; there is a virus that causes large lumps in the skin of cattle [fibro-papillomatosis], sometimes called "angleberries" and the microscopioc structure of these lumps looks the same.

From Morena:

Thanks for the picture. Brilliant. You have 2 vets agreeing. Must be right Peter Green is over in Cambridgeshire BDS hon Vet.
    If you come across any more abnormalities please send me photos as am trying to build up reference library for stalkers.

Thanks to both of them - deer now in the food chain!

Can you post some pics up here for reference (or PM me and I'll arrange to stick them up).