Steyr prohunter Mk 2 flexing stock

bishoplad

Has anybody had problems zeroing a Steyr Pro hunter MARK 2. After 3 or 4 shots the barrel on mine moves and touches the fore end resulting in stringing of the bullet in the horizontal and being unable to zero. Anybody got a solution?

I take it, that it's a lightweight barrel? Are you sure it's the barrel that's moving and not the stock?

Try leaving it too cool down between shots. The barrel will be heating up too much. I tend too shoot a 3 shot group go check target and walk slowly back giving it a chance too cool down. I have a mk2 aswell and i have had no problems with the stock. Are all screws tight? Is the action sitting straight in the stock? Could be twisted slightly with 1 screw being slack and one still tight. But i wouldnt be blaming the stock for that. Its more like the barrel heating up after a few shots and then touching.

The barrels do heat up quick and the stocks flex a little too .some folk have stiffened the forfend ,others have swapped to a mc swirly stock now available and me well I take several rifles to the range and take a little more time zeroing giving the barrel time to cool there are no problems then after all it's the cold barrel shot I'm after as I don't paper punch at all .cracking rifles I've had three now and they are a good hunting rifle .
​norma

Had a word with Simon west about 7 weeks since he said they will be doing a stock shortly other than that a classic stock is a straight swap but expensive £706 . 00
regards Glynne

Never had problems with mine even I tried to test that. I used bipod and heavy T8 mod and it always shot to the same point...

I have a mk1 that is notorious for this but knowing it does it I know how to handle it. Bipod is a problem as you can put a slight sideways pressure on the palm swell and see the barrel touch the for stock. As with other posts keep to thee shots and let it cool and check that there is no pressure on the stock that could bend it to touch the barrel. Love my rifle for all its faults.

I have only had problems with mine once. Tracking a slowly moving deer with the scope, the rifle on the bipod, and i felt the whole set up start to twist. I shot and missed.
The deer was on my side and just looked startled, so i lifted the bipod and this took the twist - spring out of it and the next shot flew true. They are great rifles, but you need to be aware that the barrel is supported at the end of the stock, so if you twist the stock the barrel is moved.

never had issues with my 2 223 and 243,

but i did notice that when i changed from a t8 to a ase mod the barrel heat was less and it cooled quicker with the ase on as would be expected as the barrel surface was not shrouded in a t8.

bob.

I was told by an intructor that many of these problems resulted from the shooter pushing forward on the bipod. That said steyr o seem prone to this with the plastic stocks.

the mark 1 stocks had issues, but the mark 2 seems to be better,

my mark 2 stocks caused me no issues at all, with a t8 then a pes t12 and then a ase compact in 25 cal.all zeroed with a bipod and a rear bag.

bob.

I've got a minty spare Mk2 stock with no flex problems for sale if anyone's interested?
I have recently bought a MacMillan to replace it for crazy money, but I needed the adjustable cheek piece for my large objective scope.
The Steyr stock is the heavy barrel version, so the barrel inlet is slightly wider and perhaps stiffer as I never noticed any flexing problems.

Totally agree with Irish Bob had no problems shooting from a high seet,but target shooting off the floor with the bipod
not good useing a shooting bag nearer the mag all is well again
i know people putting them in mcmillan stocks instant fix
cheers

The simple fact is that the prohunter 2 employs an absorber pad at the front of the stock to dampen harmonics. Any inconsistency in pressure causes an adverse effect to accuracy and/or poi. I removed it and stiffened the forend with acraglass which solved that issue. There are others .....

I stiffened mine with the resin from a fibre glass kit and it's been consistantly accurate bar one session in an underground range, I think I might have got it too hot as there was a fair bit of heat haze and I had vertical strings about 2" long. Apart from that it has shot under MOA with pretty much any factory rounds.
i might try removing the rubber pad but should really leave it alone.

I have a PH Mk 2, zeroed it no problem when purchased, never needed to re zero, very accurate, no problems at all, has a bi pod and mod fitted

I got two had no problem but still had a custom stock and now shoots three touching almost one hole at 100m prone 6.5 x 55 the 243 1" group at sme distance.

Thanks folks for the replies. Got it sorted by zeroing slowly a shot at a time as some people suggested until a satisfactory result obtained. I have the mark 1 version which is very accurate and has never been a problem regardless of the type of ammo. I intend to play with loads to see what this one likes. I think rifles are all individual and each has its own preferred load.Shot loads of stuff with first one and its operated in rain, ice, snow , etc without a problem. I would still recommend them.

Has anybody had problems zeroing a Steyr Pro hunter MARK 2. After 3 or 4 shots the barrel on mine moves and touches the fore end resulting in stringing of the bullet in the horizontal and being unable to zero. Anybody got a solution?
I have one in 308 and clover leaf 150gr hornady sp at 100 yards. Yes the stock does flex so dont lean into it as you brace for the shot. You have the light sporter barrel and as the other lads have said it will heat up incredibly quickly and needs cooling between groups or even shots. In real life though once you get your load or zero sorted out you have a very accurate rifle to play with. I would not part with mine.

Though i am really happy with my mk2 243, i do note more flex in my mk1 3006. Both shoot well, and i really agree with the flexing and pushing against the bipod causing problems. The 243 performed really well last night, taking a buck at 245 meters when we were has stalked as far as we could and were stuck in the open. The shot strike was exactly as planned, so happy with the rifle. I am not using the 3006 at the moment, on roe not reds and also reloading heads are in short supply here so it is retired till the stags and or supplies return.

I like the rifles, like the look of the stocks and basically the set up suits me, and they can shoot really well. However i am also interested in work that can make them better. Any pictures of stocks that have been strengthened and what difference this had made? Any details of what has been done would also be great.

The stock has a light rubber support at the end, if the stock is properly strengthened would removing this help, along with perhaps opening up the barrel grove?

Like i say, the 243 mk 2 is really good, probably no complaints but if something minor would improve it i would be interested to hear. The mk 1 could probably be stiffened up and this may make it better, again, any advice and pictures of work undertaken

cheers

Dave

Back