best scope under a lamp

wraith

ok lads what is the best scope under a lamp set up as having no fun with my sightron s3 6x24x50 is a fixed scope better than variable as its on a 7mm rem mag dont want to be underscoped for the gun your views thanks

ok lads what is the best scope under a lamp set up as having no fun with my sightron s3 6x24x50 is a fixed scope better than variable as its on a 7mm rem mag dont want to be underscoped for the gun your views thanks

First thought is, what are you lamping with a 7MM Rem Mag?

I would say a lower variable would be a better option, something like 3-12x50, I have got a Zeiss Duralyt illuminated and it is great.

Cheers

Wraith

What magnification are you trying to use on the scope under a lamp? The reason I ask is you will find that any scope when lapping is better on a lower magnification as you will have a larger size exit pupil. Basically you divid the objective size by the magnification and the closer you get it to 7 the better, anything bigger than 7 won't make m difference to the light you see but if you go lower the sight picture will become significantly darker.

Cheers Jon

just cant see that well at distance fine during the day shoot to very far far away but using deerielight x sercher cant see more than 400yards wondered if a fixed mag would give me better distance and wider view

the larger the mag used under a lamp will restrict your view due to a tight field of view and the lack of light gathering qualities in most scopes under a lamp.

if you have a s&b fixed 8 mag scope under the same lamp as you use another s&b vari mag scope wound up to lets say 16 mag unless the light concentrated at the target end is truly stunning you will be better of with the 8 mag,

thats my findings over the years of lamping done here,but then again im well over 50,blind as a old git,and not shooting that much anymore.

bob.

Main issue I've found has been the light bleed back from things like the suppressor and close-in rubbish (like grass & wing mirrors!). Also pays to wear a glove as the bleed back from the skin is also noticable. Same goes for night sights requiring an illuminator although not as bad from the suppressor until the shot's fired.

I used an 8x56 S&B but have switched to an N750...

my best advice.... get closer :eek:
paul just wanting to spot foxes further out so i can track them then shoot the buggers at 10 yards with my rem mag :lol:just love the smell of h1000 in the evening now on to the problem light seams very dim throe the scope even though the x sercher can throe a beam to 800yards scope seams to not let the light pass thro to your eye so at 300yards yes light is good but as you go out image deminishes but beam still just as bright at 800yards as it is at 300 hence what is a good scope under a lamp or is 300yards considered a long shot under a lamp

just cant see that well at distance fine during the day shoot to very far far away but using deerielight x sercher cant see more than 400yards wondered if a fixed mag would give me better distance and wider view

Hi Wraith,
Personally, i consider 400yards Lamping too far out for safety reasons. But that's just me and also due to the lay of the land on my permissions. I know lads that shoot out further than that using a very expensive pvs 14 nightvision sight and a deerlight 800ir :drool:( The Dogs Danglies ).

Am i right in thinking that you have just sold, or are selling, this very set up and are now looking to achieve similar results with a normal scope and lamp????
I think the technical term would be " Pis*ing In The Wind ", but if anyone knows better please correct me as i would love that sort of lamping set up without the cost restrictions of the pvs that i can only dream of owning.
Fatty.

Last edited:
Hi Wraith,
Personally, i consider 400yards Lamping too far out for safety reasons. But that's just me and also due to the lay of the land on my permissions. I know lads that shoot out further than that using a very expensive pvs 14 nightvision sight and a deerlight 800ir :drool:( The Dogs Danglies ).

Am i right in thinking that you have just sold, or are selling, this very set up and are now looking to achieve similar results with a normal scope and lamp????
I think the technical term would be " Pis*ing In The Wind ", but if anyone knows better please correct me as i would love that sort of lamping set up without the cost restrictions of the pvs that i can only dream of owning.
Fatty.
+1

Hi Wraith,

Fatty.
hi bud i have a pvs14 a d480 and a pair of gen 3 binoculars it was my idea to use the gogles to spot them then shoot with the derielight scope combination but find that i cant get far enoughf out with this set ho hum back to the night vision

First thought is, what are you lamping with a 7MM Rem Mag?

I would say a lower variable would be a better option, something like 3-12x50, I have got a Zeiss Duralyt illuminated and it is great.

Cheers
rem mag is on my tikket for vermin fox at distance and red deer during the day rem mag is a stopper on foxes is just as usable as my 243 and noise is the same yes i did say that with t8 on the front its as good if not better than the 243 so when it comes to trickey foxes the big gun comes out to play all my land runs in to each other so miles of land that i have sole permision for with lots of big hills as back stops im in scotland not much biliard table stuff up hear

Wraith, you should of kept that IOR*:cool:*Why dont you just mount the D480 on the rem mag? there rated to .50bmg so your not likely to damage it! Or try getting a nice zeiss 6-24x72, if that cant give you the light gathering you need, nothing will! And yes you do have some awesome land up there, more as what we would class as mountains down here tho ha!
*Atb James

i have the zeiss victory 6x24x56 a superb scope day and night, you wont be sorry under the lamp with one of these. superb glass

lol your scopes crap rob and u know it my wee crapy viper was better than your big expensive scope lol just need to zero it properly tho :(

Back