Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bleeding deer

Bleeding deer

Whats the best way to bleed deer and how long do you wait. This is for head / neck shots.

hi mate i dont waste any time at all if i neck shoot i get in after i know its not getting back up and bleed it straight away at the base of the neck front on ,you find running your hand down the animal there is a gap that is an easy place to bleed i usually pull up on a leg and kneel on the chest to pump the blood i only do this on kneck shot animals i find with a chest shot it bleeds out very well anyway to lift the animal and all the blood/clots come out , atb wayne
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site:
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

I stick mine in the carotid canal, where the neck joins the chest. Not only do you cut the main artery to the head but also the aorta at the top of the heart. It doesnt take long to bleed out especially if you work your knee into the ribcage and squeeze the thoracic cavity.

- try "Best Practice", there's a section on "bleeding", where and when in the "Gralloching Guide"

Quote Originally Posted by awmc View Post

- try "Best Practice", there's a section on "bleeding", where and when in the "Gralloching Guide"
    Bleeding the animal In a slauterhouse. its the first thing they do to remove the blood while the heart is still working. I will look in their best pratice to see why. woodfordfallow

I bleed them straight away from the carotid canal and position the back end of the deer uphill if possible do gravity does the hard work for me

There's a great DVD by David Stretton on gralloching and post mortem which is pragmatic best practice. Well worth a purchase.

Deer Diary

regardless where shot the vessels are big enough and elastic enough to hold an awful lot of blood through capillary action even after a shot that has resulted in "a lot of blood" (head, neck, lung, heart)

straight in the "V-neck" in line with the spine (stick you finger just above your second shirt button for the comparable feature)
    even a shortish blade (3-4") will reach the arch of aorta and if you cut left to right and back you will take out several others

resting head below body will see most of the blood drain

I do not believe you can bleed an animal without a beating heart.

From best practice guide:

See figs 2-4. Bleed the animal as soon as possible, and where it fell unless it is appropriate to move the carcass away from areas of public access.
    With the animal on it’s back or side, insert the knife immediately above the breast-bone, pointing toward the heart, so that it penetrates the chest cavity. Work the blade to either side and remove, the blood should flow freely. This is known as thoracic bleeding. Blood flow can be aided by bending the foreleg back at the knee and pressing it hard down onto the rib cage.

If it can be done without risk of contamination, the carotid arteries and jugular veins on both sides of the neck could be also be drained by cutting them just behind the jaw, but on balance this is usually best left until in the larder as a consequence of removing the head.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    I do not believe you can bleed an animal without a beating heart.

From best practice guide:
    ever picked up a garden hose that is not connected?
    still pisses water all over you even though the tap is not on.
    beating heart is a bonus but not a requirement

Vessels do not collapse without the heart beat, they act like garden hose with water in them, without pressure, gravity or capillary action the blood stays in there.
    Once the vessels are removed at the neareast point of the muscle groups you lose the benefit of the capillary action of the blood being pulled out of the muscles through whatever network of vessels would normally be attached. (the water coming out of one end of the garden hose will pull the water at the other end along purely by "suction")

its the blood in the muscles that goes off quickest, for the sake of a single knife stroke to remove even 100ml more of blood before it clots/congeals is it not worth it?