Importing Expanding Bullets!?

Monkey Spanker

Did we ever get a definitive answer on whether or not it is legal to import expanding type bullets from the USA?
I'd heard that someone had been done for it and then it seemed like it might be ok. Is there actually anything in 'Black and White' or did BASC maybe publish some kind of statement?
I've been holding off ordering any but will need some before too long.
MS:confused:

I ordered a batch around christmas time, from what I can see, you need to fulfil a few criteria, and also the law isn't clear (what a refreshing change) There appears to be no law prohibiting the receiving of expanding ammo in the post, its the sending of it thats a problem, hence no buying from UK suppliers. You may need an export license depending on where you are buying from and you won't have the missiles entered on your certificate. You don't need an import licence to bring in component parts of ammunition.

I told my FEO that I was doing it and he was ok with it. I think that if you stick to the calibers you own and stay within your ammo allowances its ok.

Of course if we all make a big song and dance about it, then some do gooder will likely attempt to put a stop to it.

My own personal view is that if an attempt was made to prosecute anyone the law could be made to look ridiculous in court, a few ballistic gel videos of SMK's VLD's and Amax for a start. And possibly the state's failure to have any clear legislation on the matter.
The red diesel laws are just as confusing as are many others probably.

I've done a search back through a few posts on here and came up with the same, but I'd still like to see some sort of clarification from an official source. I was chatting with a mate earlier who thought that BASC may have issued a paper on it? I've done a couple of searches but can't find anything?
I probably should have posted this in the legal section too! MODS - please move if required!:oops:
MS

Yes, I had read that one and in particular noted one of the last posts by 'mperring' which stated:

If you have an FAC for the calibre and qty of missiles you wish to import and the company abroad can ship to the uk then it is lawful to buy and cause the relevant missiles to be imported. The dept for bis and the executive agency border force will permit missiles to travel on should they detect hem in the first place and when the recipients details are checked on the national firearms database.

I don't know who he is but he seems to know his stuff? I'm not sure that a post on the SD would suffice in a court of law though? If I could find such a statement posted on the BASC website or similar I'd feel a bit happier!
MS

well you can't get it from midway usa.

All backorders ship upon arrival and incur a regular shipping charge.
Each of these methods represent a different level of service, as well as a different cost to the customer.
[SUP]1[/SUP]All information was gathered from the UPS website.
[SUP]2[/SUP]All information was gathered from the USPS website.

[h=4]Can I order from MidwayUSA.com if I have an international address?[/h]Unfortunately, due to the variety of regulations controlling international orders, MidwayUSA is not able to process international orders for retail customers. We do however have MidwayUSA International Partners in the following countries:

Yes, I had read that one and in particular noted one of the last posts by 'mperring' which stated:

If you have an FAC for the calibre and qty of missiles you wish to import and the company abroad can ship to the uk then it is lawful to buy and cause the relevant missiles to be imported. The dept for bis and the executive agency border force will permit missiles to travel on should they detect hem in the first place and when the recipients details are checked on the national firearms database.
I don't know who he is but he seems to know his stuff? I'm not sure that a post on the SD would suffice in a court of law though? If I could find such a statement posted on the BASC website or similar I'd feel a bit happier!
MS

Matt works alongside Mike Eveleigh in the Firearms dept at BASC.
http://www.basc.org.uk/en/departments/firearms/meet-the-team.cfm

Did we ever get a definitive answer on whether or not it is legal to import expanding type bullets from the USA?
:confused:
I suspect we won't get a definitive answer until some poor soul is taken to court for doing so, until then I think it is all guesswork until the outcome of the court case.
Cheers
Richard

I suspect we won't get a definitive answer until some poor soul is taken to court for doing so, until then I think it is all guesswork until the outcome of the court case.
Cheers
Richard

I suspect you're right, and in which case the presiding judge (political motives aside) will weigh the spirit of the law, the interests of the public and the actions of the individual.
Hopefully the conclusion will be the public is safe and the law is an ass...

I suspect you're right, and in which case the presiding judge (political motives aside) will weigh the spirit of the law, the interests of the public and the actions of the individual.
Hopefully the conclusion will be the public is safe and the law is an ass...

i have had a package from cliff stopped by customs , contained 200 sierra gamekings for my 270 , the package was opened the bullet boxes were opened tipped out (could tell because the load info stickers were on the top of the bullets not under, also the cellotape re-sealing them gave it away) the box was re packaged stamped with the customs stamp and forwarded to me via royal mail . still have the box to proove it !

i think as long as your not greedy and dont order more than you can hold or aquire i cant see how it can be viable to be taken to court for the sake of £50 max worth of bullets !

it would cost the tax payer prob 10 times that to get it to court , its just not viable !!!!!

I took waterfords advice and tentatively ordered from the company he recommended. I got exactly what i ordered, just over half the price i would pay locally and they arrived in 48 hours. I am a convert!

As for the law on this, they are entered on my fac. Some shops do and some do not. I am allowed to have them and the shop is clearly allowed to send them.

I am sure some will believe it is not or should not be allowed, but whilst i am allowed to have them, and the company are happy to send them then unless someone comes up with a definitive reason why these inert pieces of lead cannot be posted to me them i will keep ordering - probably next in 2014!

I took waterfords advice and tentatively ordered from the company he recommended. I got exactly what i ordered, just over half the price i would pay locally and they arrived in 48 hours. I am a convert!

As for the law on this, they are entered on my fac. Some shops do and some do not. I am allowed to have them and the shop is clearly allowed to send them.

I am sure some will believe it is not or should not be allowed, but whilst i am allowed to have them, and the company are happy to send them then unless someone comes up with a definitive reason why these inert pieces of lead cannot be posted to me them i will keep ordering - probably next in 2014!

If you don't mind me asking how did you get them put on your ticket?

I'd heard that someone had been done for it and then it seemed like it might be ok. Is there actually anything in 'Black and White' or did BASC maybe publish some kind of statement?
I've been holding off ordering any but will need some before too long.
MS:confused:

"United States Defense controlled items such as bullets, brass, primers, powder, rifle parts, tactical scopes, etc. may not be shipped to non-US citizens, regardless of the delivery address.

Unless an export permit is in place!"

The current problem isn't the receiving of the bullets its the ability to of the Sender to do so.....add to that the current lack of retailer stock in the US...

Time to look source bullets / components from NON US sources :lol:

Reloading international (US) sort out the export permit for you so its all above board. You don't need an import permit for ammunition components.

​Problem is they are out of stock of most things at the moment.

"United States Defense controlled items such as bullets, brass, primers, powder, rifle parts, tactical scopes, etc. may not be shipped to non-US citizens, regardless of the delivery address. Unless an export permit is in place!" The current problem isn't the receiving of the bullets its the ability to of the Sender to do so.....add to that the current lack of retailer stock in the US... Time to look source bullets / components from NON US sources :lol:

http://www.shooting-supplies.eu/en/home.html

:old:

Back