Re blueing

Mossypaw

Hi all,
I want to re blue a bolt handle and wondered if anyone could recommend a product/finish to do the job.
seem to remember trying it years ago with some sort of chemical but it always turned out very 'thin' looking.
Any ideas, Cheers.

Cheers B/S, does the paste affect the existing blueing ? I want to do one side of a bolt handle after re-shaping it, would I be better of stripping all the handle and doing it all ? Degreasing ....... bung it in the dishwasher when the wifes not looking, works for Land Rover parts !!!

Worked ok on my brand new Uberti after I lengthened the foresight but that doesn't mean it won't do something "funny" on yours. I'd try it first and strip if needed.
I'd also watch out on the dishwasher as they can be a bit aggressive although I know people that clean their BP pistols in them. I've never tried...or on the landrover bits!
Best of luck.

used the birch wood casey blueing kit on a few heavy barrels before, had to do it a couple of times to get a good even finish but it was easy to do if a little messy. The de greaser and rust/blue remove pots it comes with work very well so at worst you can strip it off and do it again or send it in for a pro job if you don't like it. Your never going to get a deep london blue but you certainly can get a decent finish build up a few layers. No on ever noticed it was non standard on mine when i had them.

Hi all,
I want to re blue a bolt handle and wondered if anyone could recommend a product/finish to do the job.
seem to remember trying it years ago with some sort of chemical but it always turned out very 'thin' looking.
Any ideas, Cheers.

Speak to PKL on here - he has a side business doing this. He uses a more permanent method than the home kits.

He did my CZ bolt for me - looks better than it did when I bought it new! :)

Cheap cold blue kits and bolt handles aren't really compatible. That blue will wear off very quickly! A more durable solution (but take care with temperature) is to heat the handle over a gas cooker flame, dip it into old engine oil, then "blaze" it off in the flame. Then repeat two or three times more. This gives a durable black finish that will not wear.

Back