7 pointer shot at 120m interesting reaction from does

Paul at Fechan

Nice stalk today and a 7 pointer.... just starting to come out of velvet :rolleyes: Does didn't want to leave... bugger more velvet

yeh it looked that way but I think it was just the uneven grounds beside the fence, the front was fine with no problems I could see or feel but when it's skinned we might see something...

nice buck, shame it's not out of velvet, but needs must. very surprised how long it took to bleed out, am I right in thinking it was a quartering away shot that probably was a bit far back, but skimmed the edge of the lungs and went out where ideally, it should have gone in (right behind the far side shoulder)? just curious.

my first thaughts were maybe alladins slippers but not sure how common that is up there ,see it all the time here in yorkshire but nice buck and good vid, atb wayne

It was shot with a guest and hit 30-06, wish I'd had the chance to shoot it with my .223 Tikka :( I hope it's mounted in velvet but the antler is hard at tips so it can be stripped and coloured as a hard antler mount.

definitely in pain and carrying some kind of discomfort or injury.

Left fore leg
(the fast moving "skipping" leg is always the good one, they speed up the good leg to keep weight on the bad one for as little as possible)

the swaying walk at 58 seconds as he tries to take the weight off is a dead give away
and more convincingly at 1min11sec onwards he is lifting the left fore and holding it up more whilst "skipping" the right leg to take the weight off quickly.
even as shot he is standing with weight on three legs (not left fore)

could be as little as a knock on the joint or the tiniest of grass seeds between the toes to induce lameness

lol, gangsta deer :lol:. In honesty, he is carrying a bit of a limp but it's not from an injury so probably just a muscle that's twitchy from a bad landing over a dyke or fence in the last couple of days. Bugger was fine a few days earlier when he legged it after a switch of breeze....

Dead thistle thorns have finally dried out properly in the last few days and are sharp and nippy as I've ever known them.

where was the shot placement on the beast? i couldn't see a mark on it in the vid and i thought a 30-06 would make a good hole.

Andy7mm

I shot a doe a few weeks back,, and the Buck and follower with her, hung about, and then came back and lay down with the dead beast !! could not get them to move off at all,, came right up to 20mtrs away and eventually had to shout and wave to get them to move,,, was astounded, never seen anything like it before,,

I suspect the confusion forces them to play it canny and hing aboot !

Back