Remington 710 .243 your thoughts

Toytown

been offered a synthetic Remington 710 .243 not screw cut with scope n rings for £255. is it a good deal for an intro into .243 and has anyone had any experience with these rifle.

I dont think even the most loyal Remington fans have a good word to say about this rifle. probably only the action would be of any use the rest you would have to replace. If that is your budget you could find a Parker Hale.
Tusker

quick google: There was a recall for the Remington 710, between July and October 2002, for improperly made safety detent springs. The Remington website provides a check for 710 owners to determine if they are affected.

apparently they had a significant amount of plastic components in the internal structures of the rifle, safety, trigger, etc. so are therefore considered lacking on the quality and durability fronts.

not owned one, just a bit of armchair warrior info..because I'm bored....

cheers guys think i will give it a miss then. i googled it myself but you only ever find bad reviews on things, good ones are rare if it its a top quality product.

looked at a few parker hales but always been put of by the look of them tbh. almost all the ones ive seen have looked like they have seen better days wich tells me they re possibly shot out.......??

Had a 710 in 243, for around a year then replaced it. I found it a very accurate rifle however it was too plasticky. I had the shroud at the back of the bolt come off with wear. I was on the range with it and after a gust of wind sprayed me and the rifle with fine dust, the dust got into the trigger mechanism and would not allow me to fire. Very frustrating. I would not recommend it as being a reliable stalking rifle. Maybe look at a CZ for a starter rifle in that price range, had one and I could not fault it.

good luck

walk away the youth 710 is by far the worst rifle i'v ever shot :doh:
if you must have a rem the 700 is better by years.
my veiws an't for all but then hay you requested any experience ,
as above if you on a buget have a look at a cz
:tiphat:

wot is you buget think will this rifle fullfil all my needs and then look on guntrader.com
post your top line you have inc glass and mod on the sd and see what pops out you never know mty.

I dont think even the most loyal Remington fans have a good word to say about this rifle. probably only the action would be of any use the rest you would have to replace. If that is your budget you could find a Parker Hale.
Tusker

Ahhh tusker .......................... do your homework ;) the 710 has a glued in barrel .............................................. not replaceable. It's basically a throw away rifle. I seem to recall that the early ones were even glued into the stocks.

There rubbish. Seen a few people who own them and wish they hadn't. They were cheap at £450 new with a scope I think.

710 is not a very good rifle,,, a 700 is what i use and shoots caliber size groups with a factory barrel...get a 700 bdl dm

been offered a synthetic Remington 710 .243 not screw cut with scope n rings for £255. is it a good deal for an intro into .243 and has anyone had any experience with these rifle.

I went to my local gun shop about a 710 and came out with a 700.....I have no complaints at all.
It gets used 3-4 nights a week.

Tim.243

so around £400 is your buget feller just had a look on gun trader you do know that have open sights so not screwcut for a mod and have a set trigger!
[h=5]don't no this outfit but i did see this
David Brayford - Staffordshire Custom Rifles[/h][h=1]Howa .243 1500 Stainless Sporter Bolt Action second hand Rifle (R/H)[/h][h=5]Licence: Firearm
Origin: Other
Serial #:
Howa 1500 Stainless Sporter, black Hogue stock. Very good condition. Only 200 rounds fired.
£435
[/h]Studio 12, Townhouse Farm, Alsager Road, Audley, Stoke-on-trent, Staffordshire. ST7 8JQ

what about the cz 601zkk theres a few on trader within budget

I have experience of basic remmington synthetic 700 series and I would strongly advise you, do not buy one. I would go for and try for fit, a BSA or parker Hale or CZ 601. Please listen to the hard won experience of the majority of posters. There will always be a small number of chaps who are happy with the Rem 700 series, but as has been said many times before, they are built to a price and a low one at that. I have a CZ 601 in .243 that I bought brand new over 17 years ago ( in instalments from an understanding gunshop) it will be the last rifle I would sell, it has fed my family in good times and bad.

​Regards Redcoat

had a squizz on guntrader and there are some good deals around. The one that caught my eye was a Lakelander in 308 at 420 that looked to be absolutely unmarked. Suspect this would be a step up in quality although not by a mainstream maker. From what I recall meant to be very accurate.

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Lakelander_Rifle_389_For-Sale_120801164656001

otherwise a good smattering of others that might be worth a look

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Husqvarna_Rifle_SPORTER_For-Sale_121124114459001

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Remington_Rifle_700_For-Sale_130309150007001

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Tikka_Rifle_M690_For-Sale_130319214711719

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Ruger_Rifle_M77-Mk-II_For-Sale_130302110857001

Otherwise hang around here for a bit and a bargain will soon come along

Ahhh tusker .......................... do your homework ;) the 710 has a glued in barrel .............................................. not replaceable. It's basically a throw away rifle. I seem to recall that the early ones were even glued into the stocks.
Good point Brit. I didnt know that. My son is a Remington fan and he thinks that they are possibly the worst rifle ever made.
Tusker

Back