ultrasonic cleaning a mod

stuart1687

hi all i was wondering if anyone has ever tried to or thought of ultrasonic cleaning a moderator? i have a stainless mod that is a solid unit that i cant take apart to clean and was wondering if i could clean it in the same way as you do the brass for reloading? any ideas welcome. if someone has tried it and had bad results please say so.

thanks Stu.

Hmmm, I'd be worried about getting the liquid out...even when it's stainless. I've a T8, an ultrasonic and the same thoughts but my suppressor is plain steel.
I guess you could bake it...

Stripped mine a while back & put the baffles and end-caps in

Got them clean ok, but took the finish off the end-caps!!

As yours is stainless = not a worry....failing that ya could bung it all in the dishwasher

If its completely stainless I'm sure it could be, I used to do some haulage for a firm called electrotec who used to polish all sorts of stainless implements in hydrochloric acid passing a small electric current through it. Although this firm is no longer trading I'm sure there will be someone about doing the same.

Or on the other hand, just don't!

if its anything like my Jim Baker marauder mods, it never needs cleaning or any maintenance. A knock on occasion to get any loose stuff out and that's it. Mine come off the rifles when I finish and live on the radiator in the man room to dry out for next time.

Also, don't forget it will take a good few shots through it to quieten down again after cleaning!

i put a P8 through an u/s cleaner. DON'T unless you like a patchy finish. need to get it recoated now! oops!

When I have fired my .308, my Atec Maxim smells of Sulphur Dioxide( bad eggs) just the same as my Black Powder pistol. I believe this mixed with water forms Sulpuric Acid. Could this be why moderators have a reputation for not lasting very long? Needless to say, I strip and put it in the u/s cleaner everytime the rifle is fired.

Last edited:
Or on the other hand, just don't!

if its anything like my Jim Baker marauder mods, it never needs cleaning or any maintenance. A knock on occasion to get any loose stuff out and that's it. Mine come off the rifles when I finish and live on the radiator in the man room to dry out for next time.

Also, don't forget it will take a good few shots through it to quieten down again after cleaning!

+1 but in loading room on an oilfilled rad

i put a P8 through an u/s cleaner. DON'T unless you like a patchy finish. need to get it recoated now! oops!

I got the same result when I put my jet z compact in the u/s cleaner,
I got it painted and it looks even better now.

Back