First blood for the new Kimber Montana 280AI... a young Sambar Stag

It was the last hunt for Dan and I on a small pine plantion. Our target was the rutting Fallow.
Arriving at the gate around noon it was clearly a SW breeze, so we drove out the back and rolled out the swags for a nanna nap. Refreshed, we made our way to a small gully amongst the short pines(littered with blackberries), which showed plenty of deer activity. From here we could glass a small area without being detected, but also make a move on any of the Bucks croaking in the area that we had heard 2 days before.
About an 1.5hr before dark, a light shower came over head. As it eased off, 2 Kangaroos made their way out feeding. Not half hour later I could see something had drawn their full attention from further up the gully. High on the back legs, ears up and eyes fixed. I just knew it was a deer, but where and what??? was getting me anxious. After what seemed like hours, a young sambar stag made his way out of the pine not 100m from us. I get Dan's attention (hey look, it's a f@#k'n Stag...What???... A sambar stag, seriously, NO sh!t... or something like that anyway...lol) and camera. I snap a few shots and then ask Dan if he wants to shot his first stag... "NO... He's yours, but let me get some more footage". Now I would normally let a young buck/stag go and grow, but location, timing and the new rifle meant this stag was in trouble. I gave Dan the camera and set up for a shot. Soon the stag starts to get into the down wind area of our position, so I give him one from the 280AI at about 60m. Dead on his legs, he turns and makes a slow run straight towards us. As soon as he gets out of the gully bottom and not 10m from me, I give him a 2nd, but a little too far back... the 3rd at 5m, pulls him up and saves the crappy job of sambar in the pine and blackberry search.
The usual photo and butcher soon followed. It was the easiest carry out for a sambar by a long way... lol
Sorry no live pics, as they are on my mates camera and yet to get copies...

Well done, and a nice write up too.
Is it just the pics or has he got one prominent brow tine ?

Good onya Benny,thats the way keep pumping till they drop haha.
You probably could have saved the last two pills mate!

Mail me the live pics cob can ya.

Good onya Benny,thats the way keep pumping till they drop haha.
You probably could have saved the last two pills mate!

Mail me the live pics cob can ya.

Yeah John, he was dead on his legs
but wanted him down before he could get lost in the blackberry and pines. Would rather put the extra copper in there then climb through that stuff... lol

Back