A cautionary tale.

gunner269

I was at the range last week, zeroing my .308 before a stalking trip. An older member turned up, with some new factory ammunition and some reloads using the supposed same powder as in the factory stuff. He had obviously pulled a factory round to get the weight of powder in them. He wanted to put both loads over his Chronograph to check the MV. Ho asked another member to fire them, as he couldn't get down on the floor. The first two, factory, went through at about 2,900fps. The third, a reload, was fired, with a hell of a bang, gas coming out of the magazine well and the shooter complaining about the recoil. The bolt had to be opened using a lump of 2x2, the primer pocket had expanded with the primer out. The headstamp was almost missing from the case but was imprinted on the bolt face. Either the powder manufacturers use is not the same as we can buy or he made a catastrophic mistake in weighing the powder. Incidentally the bullet was doing 3,700fps.

You can never be too sure can you....... He should never be asking someone else to validate his unproven handloads !!!!

The reason I say this is I went to Bisley - Short Siberia a few years ago, and a `shooter` was firing his .308win, not getting good groups, and getting frustrated. His rifle was making a shocking noise when fired, and I was getting a bit uncomfortable being in the lane to his right. After a lot of cussing, and temper tantrums he stopped to let the barrel cool down, and asked me if I would shoot his rifle to see if it was him or the ammo - I said `no`. However, upon showing me his reloaded ammo.... He was firing .243 win rounds !!! Honest mistake, yes, but the potential consequences..... unreal.

Why do people make such a hash of reloading? It isn't that difficult, its basically weighing ingredients and carefully assembleing, Its no more difficult than making a cake! (Having said that, I haven't made a cake since Home economics classes 25 years ago!)

As for getting someone else to test fire your iffy loads, well, thanks but no thanks.

I never shoot anyone else's reloaded ammo. It is a golden rule of mine.

The same applies to buying powder as in I only buy sealed tubs. However conscientious an individual we are all human and can make errors. If the powder is not in the official container you actually cannot be 100% certain what it is and it's asking for trouble. Just not sensible.

Why do people make such a hash of reloading? It isn't that difficult, its basically weighing ingredients and carefully assembleing, Its no more difficult than making a cake! (Having said that, I haven't made a cake since Home economics classes 25 years ago!)

As for getting someone else to test fire your iffy loads, well, thanks but no thanks.

Instant gratification culture. Nobody is as patient as they once were.

Bish, bosh, bash. Nothing is worth doing if its not done quickly.

Me, I was bought up making Airfix kits, not playing Nintendo.

As I assume was the owner given he "couldn't get down on the floor" to fire his own rifle!

Sadly there is a point at which age can play an unhelpful role in this kind of "eye off the ball" thing and is when a Rifle Club Chairman may be called upon to earn his keep so to speak.
:banned:

Once cannot fail but to be impressed with the ignorance of some people.

It's well known and documented that Ammunition factories used Bulk powder lots which is totally different to "Canister" powders which you or I the ordinary home loader can buy. The factories blend their bulk powders to give the burn rate and performance they want..

This fellow was probably one of those who didn't need to spend the money on a proper reloading data manual as of course he knew better.

Once cannot fail but to be impressed with the ignorance of some people.

It's well known and documented that Ammunition factories used Bulk powder lots which is totally different to "Canister" powders which you or I the ordinary home loader can buy. The factories blend their bulk powders to give the burn rate and performance they want..

This fellow was probably one of those who didn't need to spend the money on a proper reloading data manual as of course he knew better.
bang on the money there bud you cannot copey factorey loads exept sako which list what powder they use and how much in the case in there factorey rounds but dont know of eney other manufacturer that gives out this information

I was at the range last week, zeroing my .308 before a stalking trip. An older member turned up, with some new factory ammunition and some reloads using the supposed same powder as in the factory stuff. He had obviously pulled a factory round to get the weight of powder in them. He wanted to put both loads over his Chronograph to check the MV. Ho asked another member to fire them, as he couldn't get down on the floor. The first two, factory, went through at about 2,900fps. The third, a reload, was fired, with a hell of a bang, gas coming out of the magazine well and the shooter complaining about the recoil. The bolt had to be opened using a lump of 2x2, the primer pocket had expanded with the primer out. The headstamp was almost missing from the case but was imprinted on the bolt face. Either the powder manufacturers use is not the same as we can buy or he made a catastrophic mistake in weighing the powder. Incidentally the bullet was doing 3,700fps.

Let's call a spade a spade, that is a stupid thing to assume. Manufacturers are unlikely to use retail powders and even if they did it is impossible to tell one from another just by sight.
There are an awful lot of unsafe practices out there, particularly from the "I was in the army once" types. Majority of whom were probably more familiar with boot polish and potato peelers than rifles.

Well said it as I also was brought up on Airfield and built rc model planes from bolsa and plywood. Best or part was the dop - felt good man. Best not try that when re loading but hey maybe the guy did!!

Back