dead red deer AT MARTINDALE ( THE NAB )

the wiganer

hi i took a walk with the wife and kids up to martindale deer park last sunday / i couldnt believe how many reds were lying around the hills dead (3 stags 9 hind ) i can only think it must have been the snow that killed them but as an estate that manages it ( dalmain ) you would think they would remove them from public veiw / :(NOT GOOD FOR OUR SPORT:(

I no its been aweful up around Shap etc.. but never heard of this before, I no of couple farmers pulling dead sheep from everywhere.
It was reported on Cumbria FM that a prison in north Cumbria allowed 4 prisoners out for the day helpings farmers to get food to the sheep etc... which I though was a good i dear.

​Not good for our sport in what way ? the sad loss of 12 deer due to snow, or the fact they where left in situ public view ?

just watched a red stag die

hi just been out for a walk in the lakes and came across a red stag (10 pointer ) layed on its side kickin its legs so i walked over to it and it made no attempt to get up then about a min later it had died / it looked in good health good coat and eyes were clear .

get the land owner, local stalker informed. There's a chance it's got a bullet in it. Stags don't just fall over and die like that.

left camera in car as it was pourin down when i got there / missed some good pics had about 20 reds about 25 yard away

Well if its the cases you mibi want to inform some one as 13 deer don't just drop dead in a week for nothing.

I could post a picture of 4 bucks I've shot doesn't mean I took them 10minutes ago.

With no intro it's very hard to believe someone with all this miss fortune.

Also very hard to believe at 20:34 you had no pictures but you've been back up at 20:42 and took some where are they in your garden?

Last edited:
believe what you want but i know what iv seen theres even 2 layed in the farm yard just before you get to the nab which have been there all wk

if you are realy worried do this
Any dead wild animal in a field containing livestock should be reported to the landowner or the Department of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) as it could be a health hazard:
Defra helpline: Telephone - 08459 33 55 77.
e-mail: helpline@defra.gsi.gov.uk
Dead animals on public rights of way, such as country footpaths on private land, should be reported to the landowner or the Highway Authority's Rights of Way Officer - see your local telephone directory for contact details.

Last edited:
So have you done anything about it apart from put it on here????

Did you think too knock on the farmers door at least ???? about what you witnessed in the yard..??

just took some photos of the racks just tryin to figure out how to put them on as sayin file size to big plus the wife got some of the stags on her phone so gone try put them on to

Reference `the wiganer`.

Unfortunately what this chap has said may be true.
Whilst `The Nab` is not part of a Deer Park it is recognised as a Deer Forest and is part of the area known as Martindale deer forest.
Hundreds of Red Deer are on those mountains in that area. I know it well having taken foreign paying guests there a few times on behalf of the owner and photographed the Reds there on numerous occasions.
I stalked land over that boundary since 1961 , some of which changed hands three or four times over that time-scale.
I must have been doing something right as I had the stalking all those years.

Recently due to the very bad weather and virtually no grass Reds have been found dead in the Kirkstone area also.
This is a serious ongoing problem with no end currently in sight as the hind cull targets for the area had been filled by the end of the shooting season.

I do not know `the wiganer` but unfortunately what he states is likely to be the truth.
A farmer friend who now culls some of the areas previously managed by myself has spoken to me today and confirmed deaths on what are now HIS areas.

HWH.

thank you some 1 who doesnt talk ******** / i spoke to one of the farmers today who was out speading sugerbeat for cattle and he said there having a bad time at the moment
Reference `the wiganer`.

Unfortunately what this chap has said may be true.
Whilst `The Nab` is not part of a Deer Park it is recognised as a Deer Forest and is part of the area known as Martindale deer forest.
Hundreds of Red Deer are on those mountains in that area. I know it well having taken foreign paying guests there a few times on behalf of the owner and photographed the Reds there on numerous occasions.
I stalked land over that boundary since 1961 , some of which changed hands three or four times over that time-scale.
I must have been doing something right as I had the stalking all those years.

Recently due to the very bad weather and virtually no grass Reds have been found dead in the Kirkstone area also.
This is a serious ongoing problem with no end currently in sight as the hind cull targets for the area had been filled by the end of the shooting season.

I do not know `the wiganer` but unfortunately what he states is likely to be the truth.
A farmer friend who now culls some of the areas previously managed by myself has spoken to me today and confirmed deaths on what are now HIS areas.

HWH.

Back