Practice makes perfect

SecretStalker.308

I'm thinking of making myself a sort of simulated stalk area on one part of a Farm i have permission on, this side the farm has no livestock and never is any livestock on it. It has some nice rolling hills, Quarries and large grass banks. Perfect for backstops, what i'm wanting to do is put out some steel fox & Roe targets where i can alternate there position i.e shooting distance. maybe even some 8" steel "Gongs" for long range shots too 300-400 yards etc Obviously these arent shots that i will be taking at live deer but steel one's dont matter and would be nice to see what the Rifle can do. The steel fox and Roe i can shoot off sticks and bipod the distance varied by which way i stalk in to them.

What i'm wanting to know is what thickness will the steel targets, "Gongs" etc need to be do consistently sustain hits from Centrefire Rifles i have .308 and have a space for .22-250 on ticket. I will be using Expanding ammunition what thickness will the steel need to be?

ATB Steve

I don't know the thickness but I know ordinary mild steel will not do. There is a uk company called BH Targets that have an advert on UK Varminting that make what you require
Hope this helps

Our steel stag, the estate target which all stalking clients had to shoot at before going on the hill was half inch steel plate it would stop a bullet at 150 yards which is the distance they were required to shoot at.

However it had to be replaced every few years as constantly hitting the same spot, caused them to go through and after a year or two you just had a big ragged hole in the kill zone.

I don't know the thickness but I know ordinary mild steel will not do. There is a uk company called BH Targets that have an advert on UK Varminting that make what you require
Hope this helps

Hi Srvet

Just had a pm from a member on here sending me the link for BH targets, they look very good and professional.
Might be the route i decide to go down, however like anything on here targets, highseats etc they may get stolen
two chances i suppose!
Thanks for your Reply

Our steel stag, the estate target which all stalking clients had to shoot at before going on the hill was half inch steel plate it would stop a bullet at 150 yards which is the distance they were required to shoot at.

However it had to be replaced every few years as constantly hitting the same spot, caused them to go through and after a year or two you just had a big ragged hole in the kill zone.

Hi Bogtrotter

I have seen something similar to that what you've described, a friend of mine has a video i think "Hunt prepare cook vol 1" It is Mike Robinson and a couple other chaps stalking at Alladale. where they have a big steel red stag and on the vital area's they have a steel swing plate, so when the vitals have been hit the plate swings out and clear shot placement can be seen even at a 150 yards. Is this a similar idea to what you have the had a 8" circle behind the shoulder and a 3" swingplate on the head. could be an interesting project i might try certainly not a whacking great red stag though just a Roe buck i will try

Yes a similar idea though we did not have a swing plate just a plate that could be replaced covering the kill area
kept a pot of matt paint and an old brush by the target and just painted out the strikes after each session that way it was easy to pick out the fresh hits.

Or .....
A good half inch oot thicker plate and a mig welder !!!, or even weld couple other bits in the kill area to thicken it up

Paul

I put 8mm steel plate over the chest and neck of my new fox target and the 25-06 went straight through at 200yds
im going to weld another piece of steel on top and make the target a swinging one

It's not necessarily thickness you're looking for; its hardness rating. It may take a few shots, but your bullets will punch through mild steel. Ideally your looking for AR400 or even AR500 plate steel. A brand to use for the net search is 'Hardox.'

I put 8mm steel plate over the chest and neck of my new fox target and the 25-06 went straight through at 200yds
im going to weld another piece of steel on top and make the target a swinging one

is it not just a easy to weld a new plate every now and then, than drop serious money on super hard steel?

I personally quite like the idea of punching holes in them!

Back