85 grain sierra hpbt velocity

jimsim

Just wondered if the experienced reloaders can help im using some sierra 85 g hpbt loaded with h4350 using 42.5 g coal 2650 , just wondered what sort of velocity this would give me its grouping 0.5 with this combo, I also have a tub of varget to try .

Sadly as each and every barrel is slightly different a chrono is the only recourse. Length being only 20" will probably hurt the velocity as well.

H4350 is quite slow for 85 grns according to the data I've been reading - especially in a short barrel like yours. You may get better velocity from the Varget as it's a higher burning rate powder.
Only a chronograph will tell you unless you are willing to do some bullet drop tests at longer ranges & play with exterior ballistic permutations.

​Ian

Thanks ian funny anouth I tried varget last night and at 37 grains 1 grain off max load it shot .2 groups so im going to stick with that now and would say its travelling around 3000 feet per second witch is plenty

Thanks ian funny anouth I tried varget last night and at 37 grains 1 grain off max load it shot .2 groups so im going to stick with that now and would say its travelling around 3000 feet per second witch is plenty

if you slow it to 35.5g you will find it just a tad less explosive on deer, and performs equally well from a grouping perspective, at least in my rifle ;).

great load BTW, just not for deer near woodland edges where a blood trail might be needed for tracking. Hence, I'm now on 85 Partition presciptions.

if you slow it to 35.5g you will find it just a tad less explosive on deer, and performs equally well from a grouping perspective, at least in my rifle ;).

great load BTW, just not for deer near woodland edges where a blood trail might be needed for tracking. Hence, I'm now on 85 Partition presciptions.

the only issue with that is at 3000fps it is right on the edge of producing 1700ftlbs and being legal, 36.5 with mine put it under the limit but 37 went just over with chrono results. Obviously its not likely to get checked

Back