Calton Moor Range - First Muntjac - Woburn Park

Went down to England for a few days. Had a great time with friends. Here are a few photos of my trip.

IMG_0879.jpg

Path down to Mikes tunnel at Calton Moor Range.

IMG_0875.jpg

Inside the range. Very comfortable place to shoot and test ammunition.

IMG_0773.jpg

Mikes classroom. World class deer on the wall.

IMG_0751 (2).jpg
IMG_0748-2.jpg

A happy hunter. My first Muntjac I got with Richard (stone) at his place. This was the first Muntjac I have ever seen, first look was through the scope for a split second. I dropped him on the spot off sticks at 70yds. When we went back to pick it up with the truck stone said to me 'remember at the Deer stalking fair I said you're a lucky b**tard, I take that back. You're a f**king lucky b**tard!' haha.

IMG_0755-2.jpg
IMG_0763-2.jpg

My muntie hung up in the larder. Got it caped and ready to go to the taxidermist.

IMG_1951.jpg

Fox calling with Mike. Called 2 in but only got the one. The 2nd was bullet proof I think :rolleyes: We used a feather decoy that really made the difference.

IMG_0829 (2).jpg

This was my first sighting of a Chinese Water Deer. I was luckily enough to get a photo of him by the busy road. He was just on the outside of Woburn Park. After seeing him I saw quite a lot of them in the middle of fields.

IMG_0785 (2).jpg

It was great to go to Woburn Park because I was able to have a good look at other species all in one day. I see Roe and Red deer on a daily basis so it was nice to see something different. We saw this Muntjac buck with a doe just at the entrance of the park, happily stood there for a picture.

IMG_0788.jpg
IMG_0786.jpg
IMG_0859.jpg

Pere David in Woburn Park. It was cool to see worlds biggest herd of Pere david. I'm not too sure what to think of them but it was great to see them. It wasn't easy trying to get a photograph with all the traffic but going around twice did the trick.

I would like to say a big thank you to Mike for having me and taking me out and also a big thank you to Richard for taking me out for my first Muntjac. Had an amazing time and I'm defiantly hooked on Muntjac.

ATB Brent

Last edited:
great write up mate. was a good read and nice pictures. good lad that richard is [ stone]

I also had a trip to woburn last week. Well worth the visit to see deer in those quantities! The herd of pere davids is massive and there are CWD everywhere. Oh to be able to take the rifle instead of the camera and kids :)

Feck me
you are one lucky Barsteward ...especially on that night..lol
really pleased you had a good trip even Sadsy commented on how pleased you were ...lol
woburn is a fantastic place
and this post highlights the facts why we luv to just watch deer let alone stalk them
considering the amount of deer you hav access to
look forward to seeing the full shoulder mount as and when you can afford it , plus you are welcome any time
it was a pleasure
dad should be well peeved ...lol
best wishes
​Rich

Munties are easy..........

To deal with:D

Just had a fantastic trip on them myself with a little success thanks to my friend ;)

Well done nice write up and photos , visiting Woburn is on the to do list one day !

great photo's brent, was good to meet you at mikes, the muntjac head and cape was a beauty, you should have seen the tunnel the week before when me and matt dug the last few yards out, sounds like you had a great time down there, will have to book a trip with mike myself later in the year and get that species off my list,all the best for your career in deer stalking. ATB Dean

hi brent, mikes been telling what a fantstic week he has had with you up there on the borders, looks like you have a promising career in front of you, as you have your own patch now can you pm me your contact details and price list please, when are you coming down to mikes again?:tiphat:

Back