Thread: Nearly got my first buck

Nearly got my first buck

I went out on Friday morning, this was my 5th visit on my new ground. I had been there on Tuesday with Cadex who gave me a lot of good pointers and recommended areas I should try again. I arrived just before 6am and decided to stalk up to an area on the perifery of the wood which had shown signs of deer. I arrived at my chosen spot and settled down between two trees, which gave me a view down a couple of rides. After an hour or so there was no activity so I decided to stalk to a different location where we had seen a young buck, again I found a spot where I could overlook the area and waited, again after about an hour and seeing nothing I decided to move again. By this time the wind direction had changed and I decided to stalk back up to my original position. I moved up to the corner of the wood as I turned the corner to approach my orginal position, I seen a buck about 200 metres up the hill. The buck hadn't seen me so I crept into the edge of the wood at this point it was between the wood and the perimiter fence, which it decided to hop over. I thought that if I could get close enough I would wait on it coming back across the fence and possibly get a chance of a shot. I stalked up the edge of the wood stopping every time it lifted it's head and after what seemed like half an hour I ranged it and it was still 150 metres away. I wouldn't take a shot at this range as being a novice I would say that I was quite comfortable at about 100 metres with the bipod and about 80 max with sticks and I thought that this shot required sticks, so I had to make another 70 metres,eventually I managed to get there and was beginning to set up the sticks when the buck decided to jump back over the fence and disappear into the wood. I waited for about 30 minutes but it never reappeared. I'm sure it didn't see me but I couldn't believe how hard my heart was pounding,they say the thrill is in the chase and not the kill, well I thoroughly enjoyed the chase and looking forward to the next one, be nice to get a bit of venison as well though.

Well done Jodi. Nice write up. Quite an adrenaline rush isn't it. That's what makes it so addictive.

There's always next time.
    "Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A f**kin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a f**k what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?"

Thats a pefect start into a new addiction, be sure about it!
    After getting the first down, you will shake like a leaf and feel the emotions running through your body....
    ​Thats true passion!
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

You were so unlucky with the young buck that morning we were out . . .keep at it, he won't be far away from where we saw him . . . good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    You were so unlucky with the young buck that morning we were out . . .keep at it, he won't be far away from where we saw him . . . good luck.
    This was a really nice buck still in velvet, up round the edge of the wood. Only problem it's a fair hike back to the car

nice going sounds like it wont be long before you get one of them , they are creatures of habit so you will get them in the same spots, keep us posted on how you get on,atb wayne
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site:
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

good luck on your next trip, I am sure he won't go far.

If you want to borrow a Roe sack to help with your extracting of that large buck, just give me a call.

good write up, I enjoyed reading it.

As other have said good write up jodi.
    At the end of the day you have to be on the ground to find out whats going on and its the only way to increase your chances, everything will fall into place and then you'll be buzzing!!
    Good stuff

Good read Jodi, by the sounds of it it will happen soon enough. As said its a very addictive pastime and you need to put in the hrs, but when it all comes together its a buzz!

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under