Tiny foxes

Overlay

Have just removed a number of foxes from the same area over the past few weeks, most of em have been the standard run of the mill sizes but mostly dog foxes. (6 out of the 8)

The two vixens removed were barren and the tiniest size that could have been mistaken for cubs, checked the normal bits, teeth, good winter coat and pads all were in good condition, size for size the weight was ok, with signs of wear (one broken canine ) on the teeth as you would expect from being around a while, one of em had a 2 " tail with no healing scars.

Never seen anything small as these two before, perhaps a one off ?

interesting to hear about any other miniatures found whilst out foxing

ATB

​Phil

Last edited:
We have had a few small vixens, not tiny as you describe also quite a few barren ones as well.
I have shot castrated dog foxes and a mate shot a vixen with a clipped area like when you have the cat neutered…
I can only guess that like us all there are big and small so It must come out like that in the fox world. I caught a rabbit once weighed 5 ½ pounds it ripped the peg out the ground and a Peter Shilton dive just grabbed it!!
I am due to call Robert Bucknell and I will get his view on it…

Tim.243

we had one last week, barren and the first with some mange for ages very small had it been september I would have thought she was this years cub.

I shot a tiny vixen on Feb 12th while it was eating the remains of another fox that I'd shot a couple of weeks earlier. It had dragged the carcass out from where the farmer had dumped it, and was tucking into the remains in broad daylight. It was about the size of a domestic cat, and was so badly manged that it had almost no fur from mid-chest to the tip of its tail. The poor thing must have been absolutely freezing in that awful weather. It was one of about 35 foxes that were dumped on the free-range organic chicken farm by one of the so-called 'charities'.

I shot a tiny vixen on Feb 12th while it was eating the remains of another fox that I'd shot a couple of weeks earlier. It had dragged the carcass out from where the farmer had dumped it, and was tucking into the remains in broad daylight. It was about the size of a domestic cat, and was so badly manged that it had almost no fur from mid-chest to the tip of its tail. The poor thing must have been absolutely freezing in that awful weather. It was one of about 35 foxes that were dumped on the free-range organic chicken farm by one of the so-called 'charities'.
Ahh, the good ol' RSPCA. Supplying fox shooters with targets since 1824 ;)

i had seven released from the back do a small white van t'other week, waited for the driver to then head on up the track to turn around to leave, shot 5 of them before he started heading back, to see them dead just 20 yards from where he dropped them off, needless to say, he didn't look too amused through the binoculars. I just kept quiet, waited for him to b**ger off, and rounded up the last two. Oh, this was ONE field away from ewes that were dropping lambs at the time, which he would have driven past prior to releasing them !!!

Regards

Ahh, the good ol' RSPCA. Supplying fox shooters with targets since 1824 ;)

i had seven released from the back do a small white van t'other week, waited for the driver to then head on up the track to turn around to leave, shot 5 of them before he started heading back, to see them dead just 20 yards from where he dropped them off, needless to say, he didn't look too amused through the binoculars. I just kept quiet, waited for him to b**ger off, and rounded up the last two. Oh, this was ONE field away from ewes that were dropping lambs at the time, which he would have driven past prior to releasing them !!!

Regards

Bloody well done. If you or anyone else should manage to get some photos of 'charity' people releasing foxes, I'd be very keen to see them...

not just you Paddy. Theres a £1000 bounty in the shooting press for anyone providing firm photographic evidence of fox dumping

We will never stop them dumping them, but why can't they dump where they will not be a problem ?

Neil. :)

Have just removed a number of foxes from the same area over the past few weeks, most of em have been the standard run of the mill sizes but mostly dog foxes. (6 out of the 8)

The two vixens removed were barren and the tiniest size that could have been mistaken for cubs, checked the normal bits, teeth, good winter coat and pads all were in good condition, size for size the weight was ok, with signs of wear (one broken canine ) on the teeth as you would expect from being around a while, one of em had a 2 " tail with no healing scars.

Never seen anything small as these two before, perhaps a one off ?

interesting to hear about any other miniatures found whilst out foxing

ATB

​Phil
had the same over the last few months thought they were cubs nope adult had 2 with what looked like docked tails never had this before but both looked like they had not bean doctored geneticks perhaps

I think with us that these small foxes may be the result of very early weaning, probably due to one or both adults having been killed. ( too remote and bleak for any dumping i hope!)

In a big cairn you may get the vicky and the dog but cubs can often get away where the dogs cant follow.
It is assumed that they are done for if you have the adults but a well supplied den we had apart, had 15 lambs halfed and stashed that we found and the legs of another 5 maybe 6 eaten clean, With such a stash it would be possible for one or two cubs to make it full red and scatter and take their chances.
Cubs that are just starting meat can be well reared by the dog if the viccy is got, you would expect these to be a bit stunted as a result. We come across one or two very small adult foxes each year they seem to be able to cut up dogs better than the 29lb ,ers

Back