Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Letter Requesting Lifting of Restrictions

Letter Requesting Lifting of Restrictions

Whilst waiting for BASC to call me back....
    I wondered if the 'panel' had any advice on the wording of a letter to my local firearms dept. requesting the lifting of restrictions
    I have been in posession of an FAC since July last year and have been out with my mentor (my stepson, who has an open certificate ) on numerous occasions using both rimfire and centre fire
    Obviously my letter will be accompanied by a letter from my mentor singing my praises!
    An ysuggestion would be greatly appreciated

Send it in,thats all you can do.....should get lifted,fingers crossed.......

You may find it useful to say something along the lines of "I have been out with my mentor on ..... occasions during which I have been responsible or the safe culling of ........ Deer, Foxes and Rabbits". Agree the numbers with you mentor first, don't be tempted to exaggerate, just give an honest account. atb Tim

This is essentialy the letter that my mentor wrote.

"I.......have been the mentor for......since July, 2012. We have conducted.....stalks, both morning and evening and over a variety of terrain. From these outings.....has accounted for....deer.

I be a safe and conscientous shot. Muzzle awareness, general firearm safety, suitability of the shot and backstop have all been experienced and capably demonstrated to the extent that .....should now have his mentor condition lifted.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further information."

Hope this helps.

spell it out

backstops, muzzle awareness, safe handling, etc etc

no prizes for stating the bleeding obvious but when it comes to letters about Firearms make sure all the buzzwords are on there!!

2P Worth
    when i have mentored the covering letter was the green light for them to remove said wording i must say i send the letter 1st ,if the shooter is not ready then no letter even if requested for is not sent until all safty and rifle skill's are met and clealy sunk in and then and only then i tell the feller to re-admit his fac for the restriction to be removed good luck

Last edited by paul o'; 15-04-2013 at 15:38.

Excellent Chaps - Thanks all - just what I needed to know!
    ​DSC1 in June - what's next!

Ed, don't be downhearted if they won't agree, Most of them cling to the first renewal idea, Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Ed, don't be downhearted if they won't agree, Most of them cling to the first renewal idea, Steve.

Thanks for that Steve
    I did speak to BASC eventually (I know you are a keen supporter!) and the chap I spoke to implied that it was a formality - I won't hold my breath
    Thanks again all
    Last edited by Edchef; 15-04-2013 at 19:09.

Good luck with it Ed