5lb tubs of powder

Tomm

hello. does anyone know of any rfd's that stock reloader10x and h4895 in 5lb tubs? can only find the 1lb tubs. no worries if i have to get it sent down down.

thanks
Tomm

hello. does anyone know of any rfd's that stock reloader10x and h4895 in 5lb tubs? can only find the 1lb tubs. no worries if i have to get it sent down down.

thanks
Tomm

I should just get what you can mate.
I was told on saturday if you want primers or powder get it now !
I had to change primers and powder, so back to working a load up. But at least I have plenty of both.

thanks
Tomm

Taken from Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations (MSER) 2005.

a) Storage container size
The HSE recommends that all shooters powders should only be stored in containers holding less than 550 grams. However for the time being, until stocks are used up and replaced, some powders may only be available in 1kg containers. It is permitted to continue to store powder in these 1kg containers until manufacturers reduce the container size, the conditions in relation to the storage of black powder continue to apply, irrespective of container size i.e. a wooden partitioned box.

I believe that this information may be slightly out of date as I know there was a fairly recent update, but basically it is my understanding that retailers are not permitted to sell reloading powders in the 8Lb tubs that are common in the U.S. I have known of dealers buying powder in bulk and then decanting it into smaller containers for resale but have never seen the large containers for sale in this country.

Strange, I had no problem buying a 3.5Kg container of Viht N140 off HPS a year or so ago.

Just looked and it's still listed on their site at £185.60 for N140/50/60

I've never seen a 5 pound tub. I've seen 8 pound tubs. Maybe that's an export-to- UK thing??~Muir

Nope I've got 5 pounders of RL-7 and RL-22 . I think Alliant is the only one however that puts it in 5 pounders now .

Actually I think the big jug of Trailboss I have is a 5 pounder as well , but I do believe thats the only one in rifle powders that Hogdon/IMR/WIN sell anylonger as well .

Last edited:
The reason is here in the UK the numpties still believe that smokeless powder is an explosive. Even Bomb Disposal did not know it's a propellant. The Police were on about dangerous explosives :banghead: and the RFD who eventually collected some of my powders from RAF storage had to enlighten them about smokeless propellants.

The reason is here in the UK the numpties still believe that smokeless powder is an explosive. Even Bomb Disposal did not know it's a propellant. The Police were on about dangerous explosives :banghead: and the RFD who eventually collected some of my powders from RAF storage had to enlighten them about smokeless propellants.

:thumb: LOL

You my laugh but they have been paying storage on those powders at the RAF base for over two years. Then the twit of a Chief Constable goes on TV telling us well their organised but cannot manage on the funds allocated to them.. Ahhh perhaps if they didn't waste it on stupid things like this.

We are told how professional they are yet they do not even know their own jobs. Along with my 8x57 brass my Lyman Spar-T press and two new tubs of powder, one of Reloader 19 and one of H4831 is missing both of which were bought the week or so before the infamous raid. It a strange thing but one of the firearms chappies was telling about the 8x57 sporting rifle he was developing loads for only about a month or so before the raid. A set of Lee 8x57 dies have been returned :-| .

Still unaccounted for are about 1200 pieces of 303 HXP 69 boxer primed brass, well over 1000 pieces of 7.62x51 boxer primed brass about 600 pieces of 30-06 GI brass several hundred 8x57 brass a set of 7.5x55 and a set of 8x56R dies. My Meopta Prepov 3x scope was removed, for some strange reason, from the Brno Model 2. I have the scope back but it now has a large chip in the objective lens.

Taken from Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations (MSER) 2005.

a) Storage container size
The HSE recommends that all shooters powders should only be stored in containers holding less than 550 grams. However for the time being, until stocks are used up and replaced, some powders may only be available in 1kg containers. It is permitted to continue to store powder in these 1kg containers until manufacturers reduce the container size, the conditions in relation to the storage of black powder continue to apply, irrespective of container size i.e. a wooden partitioned box.

I believe that this information may be slightly out of date as I know there was a fairly recent update, but basically it is my understanding that retailers are not permitted to sell reloading powders in the 8Lb tubs that are common in the U.S. I have known of dealers buying powder in bulk and then decanting it into smaller containers for resale but have never seen the large containers for sale in this country.

3.5kg/8lb tubs of powder are fairly readily available. I sell them regularly(they're more popular than 1kg for N140 for example). Some customers share it out and decant too. I know of no law that states you cannot sell a 3.5kg tub of powder in the UK and as an RFD, I have to keep up on it. The snippet from the ACPO FELWEG document is a recommendation only from my take on it. If you look at Viht powders for example, the standard tub is a kilo. They are available in 1lb(454g) tubs too but I've only ever seen those in the US.

My take on it is that the ACPO FELWEG document is taken directly from the HSE Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations (MSER) 2005 and that this in fact the law. Perhaps it may be acceptable for dealers to have powder in such large containers but not the individual? I supose the HSE could tell us if we are really interested. I know from past experience that they take packaging pretty serious and can be quite pininicky about it.

It reminds me of a situation years ago when primers were very difficult to get hold of in my local area. CCI were available over the counter if they were in stock but others such as Winchester and Federal were not because they were not in the right type of package. Instead of being seperated individually they were in rows of 10 and as such were considered to be more dangerous because were liable to explode enmasse, hence an explosives licence was necessary to buy Winchester or Federal.

I contacted my local police in order to get the licence but at that time the local council dealt with explosives licences. I therefore contacted trading standards (the relavent department) they had never heard of it and they refered me back to the police. It went back and fore several times before the council agreed that it was their job but they couldn't find the necessary form as they had only dealt with explosives stores in the local mines and quarries at that time. Thankfully Winchester changed their packaging and the problem was solved.

Incidentally explosives and petroleum licensing at that time was dealt with quite differently in each county. In my county the fire service dealt with petroleum and trading standards dealt with explosives. In the next county the fire service dealt with explosives and the local council dealt with petroleum. Thankfully it's all changed now.

Last edited:
Back