Anyone shot any of these recently

Cygnus

15249_591939467492349_1886132689_n.jpg

Here is a rare pic of a wee family of Haggi (plural of haggis) they were spotted resting a while in the hills and glens of our beautiful Galloway Countryside...cute as buttons and rare as a set of teeth on a hen, enjoy the wonder of these shy little creatures at rest.
I don't know when the season is that's why I haven't gone out for them.

​Alan

I'm sure the open season for these is 29th Feb, but not sure what calibre one would use.....not easy to track though:confused:

lesser spotted haggis, no. It's the 1st sep to the end of january, common is 12 august to the end of january..

Is it the same for bucks and does?

Also, I think I've shot a gold-medal haggis. In fact it's that good it might even make platinum! Does it need a 90-day drying out period, and can anyone point me towards the measurement criteria? Will the official measurers be at the Game Fair in July, or do I need to go to Scone later in the year?

willie_gunn

Is it the same for bucks and does?

Also, I think I've shot a gold-medal haggis. In fact it's that good it might even make platinum! Does it need a 90-day drying out period, and can anyone point me towards the measurement criteria? Will the official measurers be at the Game Fair in July, or do I need to go to Scone later in the year?

willie_gunn

If I understand it correctly, you have to measure the ratio between the long leg and the short leg, then subtract the weight of the clip.

under the new regulations there are points to be had for the length of canine's on males, the pelt score is then given the addition of the canine totals. Gold's are very rare because they often fall short on the symmetry of markings.

lesser spotted haggis, no. It's the 1st sep to the end of january, common is 12 august to the end of january..
Without doubt the UNcreasted variety,more common on the east coast, but seem to be turning up further west, thought to be due to drier climate..

I'm sure I saw one in its summer coat in Wales today. The cold weather must have pushed them south.
It was near the bins behind Tesco. It had a yellow strips on it!

Here in Cumbria We hunt them with cumberland sausage dogs in the autum when they migrate south for the better weather and greener grass.

Wales ? Cumbria ?

"They may take our lives but they will never take our HAGGIS"

(William Wallace battle of Stirling Bridge)

the animal rights have got a petition going ,to prevent them being dropped into boiling water ,the new ruiling is for them to be placed into water at there body heat and then brought up to boiling ,this has been extensivly tested out on frogs to be the most humane way to kill them,this will come into force by early 2014

My local Farmer grows Turnips and he's on the phone to me as soon as they are large enough to come to leaf. Wants them all culled on sight.

I got a permission just up the road too on a recommendation as the Farmer grows Potatoes.

Apparently certain times of year you always see Haggis on Tatties and Neeps.

Back