Training dogs to find shed antlers

KBar1970

Morning All
Has anyone experience of training their dog to find sheds?
I am interested in seeing how my fella will take to it (Parson Russell terrier), and would be grateful for any response.
Many thanks
Kenneth

Funny that, I am in the process just now. I take an antler with me let him have a wee chew and carry on with it then make him sit and pretend to hide it. Then send him of to find it, he has come back with 3 or 4 now.

My cocker seems to do it anyway. Lives with my mum in the highlands these days and hs's better at it than she is!

I am also in the process of training my lab. She has in the past found them but usually when they have been recently cast so the scent is still on them.
At the moment I hide 2 or 3 pieces on my morning walk each one with a squirt of deer scent ( sold for deer tracking) and then in the evening walk walk past where I have hidden them and she nearly always find them .I then hide them again in preparation for the next walk . The 8 to 10 hours between walks allows any of my scent to dissapate so they are scenting deer and not me. I have noticed that if I do not use the deer scent for a few days then I realy have to get her to work but she does find them.

Finding old bones ,skulls and severed legs is no problem she finds them however old . I now forbid anyone to leave legs on the ground as it drives me mad every walk all i hear is crunching!

Finding old bones ,skulls and severed legs is no problem she finds them however old . I now forbid anyone to leave legs on the ground as it drives me mad every walk all i hear is crunching!
Old bones! This is quite true having once left the wood with a Tyranasaurus skull which when bleached and mounted looked fantastic.:thumb: Richard you know I always walk out of the wood with my legs,John never leaves enough booze in the cabin.:rofl:
Can you give me a ring about this deer scent I may use it in training for Kite if its a reasonable price, you can bring some up when we are off to Scotland.

Funnily enough, the wee fella's called Buddy; he and my darling fiancee Sarah come as a pair :lol:

Back