Dismembering deer and carrying it out in a pack Have you done it?

Glendine

Please see attached linkhttp://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/kentucky/2006/08/never-gut-deer-again-bonus-instruction-videos?photo=3#node-1000014436............Never Gut a Deer again as you can guess its American terminology. ....I stalk Red deer in very remote places where extraction can only be done by hand as this is the only method allowed it can take up to Six hours to extract the carcass and two days to recover! .........Out of Interest has anyone SD member tried this method? Or share a similar experience of dismembering deer and carrying it out in a pack?.......Many thanks,......Regards,......Glendine.

Last edited:
the link doesn,t seem to work. worst one i ever did was in wicklow took hours thought i was going to die, have you ever thought about one of those petrol winches think they are called capstain, i know a man who works with one he says its a great job

the link doesn,t seem to work. worst one i ever did was in wicklow took hours thought i was going to die, have you ever thought about one of those petrol winches think they are called capstain, i know a man who works with one he says its a great job
Thanks Scudd, Sorry about the link I cannot get it right its Field and stream magazine never gut a deer again.Regards,Glendine.

One member of our party in Scotland did this.

Having shot a stag at the top of the Ben (on, it has to be said, the instructions from the Stalker) it rolled over the edge and down a couple of hundred feet to the side of the loch below - an area that was inaccessible to all but a mountain goat. Said member of party, being somewhat of the lunatic persuasion, descended and retrieved the antlers, backstraps and (if I recall correctly) one haunch.

Mind you, the same party member also carried an inflatable boat on his back some 7 or 8 miles to an otherwise inaccessible loch for about an hours fishing before having to turn around and return in time for dinner. The inflatable boat never appeared again.

Needless to say, he reached the rank of Major-General.

willie_gunn

Kudu2_zps67067aee.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Had to cut up the Kudu i shot in Namibia as it was totally inaccessible where we eventually caught up with him, didn't have a pack and the rest was quartered and carried to the truck about a mile away, i reckon the trophy weighed as much as a fallow pricket.

​Moose

I've done it several times on Islay with Red stags.

It's not ideal but there was no alternative at the time.

On one occasion I went back on my second run to find a female Hen Harrier on the meat. It had gorged itself and was literally handled off the meat as it could hardly move.

Kudu2_zps67067aee.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Had to cut up the Kudu i shot in Namibia as it was totally inaccessible where we eventually caught up with him, didn't have a pack and the rest was quartered and carried to the truck about a mile away, i reckon the trophy weighed as much as a fallow pricket.

​Moose

Nice picture!

When I shot my elk in the Idaho wilderness we had to do this, usually we would get the horses/mules in to pack out, but sod's law mine dropped in thick treefall at the bottom of a ravine, so we had to butcher and carry it out on a packframe. The worse bit was having the head with antlers and cape on my back, not only heavy but as the antlers are very wide it was very difficult to get thru the trees and then up the side of the ravine to the ridge were the horses were.
It nearly killed me but I had to do it and I would not let my American mate do it for me as I would never have heared the last of it around the campfire, soft skinny limey etc.etc.

One member of our party in Scotland did this.

Having shot a stag at the top of the Ben (on, it has to be said, the instructions from the Stalker) it rolled over the edge and down a couple of hundred feet to the side of the loch below - an area that was inaccessible to all but a mountain goat. Said member of party, being somewhat of the lunatic persuasion, descended and retrieved the antlers, backstraps and (if I recall correctly) one haunch.

Mind you, the same party member also carried an inflatable boat on his back some 7 or 8 miles to an otherwise inaccessible loch for about an hours fishing before having to turn around and return in time for dinner. The inflatable boat never appeared again.

Needless to say, he reached the rank of Major-General.

willie_gunn

Willie, that sounds like the kind of antics a certain retired Major General that I am acquainted with.

Yep - I've used a Kifaru hauler and a either muslin/dry bag/meat sac for extraction quite often. It works very well.

Hi Glendine,Have carried many deer out on my back,i always gut them and if too big take hindquarters and bone out rest.I live in New Zealand where roads are not too close to hunting areas.

big problem for lone hunters, I`ve lay just watching red stags because I know I can never get them out.
A red deer is too much venison for me as well .

If its a quatermile downhill to a track, I have field dressed and prepared for the larder, wrapped and roped
the deer in clean polytarp and dragged yard by yard so I can take it to a dealer.

snow makes it easier,

but reality is I`m too old to hunt reds on my own any more.

big problem for lone hunters, I`ve lay just watching red stags because I know I can never get them out.
A red deer is too much venison for me as well .

If its a quatermile downhill to a track, I have field dressed and prepared for the larder, wrapped and roped
the deer in clean polytarp and dragged yard by yard so I can take it to a dealer.

snow makes it easier,

but reality is I`m too old to hunt reds on my own any more.

an argocat with a winch and a feed ramp helps tremendously :)

I have an area that requires carrying out, I end up with both haunches removed at the end of the backstrap and the backstrap in one carry and the head and whats useable from the sholders in the next carry but it takes all day to get it home so I tend to leave that area as a sanctuary.

Andy

Back