View Poll Results: Which rifle do I use for my DSC1 test?

62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Go with the .308 Browning X-Bolt

22 35.48%
  • If poss try the X-Bolt 1st before deciding

29 46.77%
  • Go with the estate rifle whatever that may be

4 6.45%
  • Use the 22-250 I have on a borrowed condition

7 11.29%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DSC1 shooting test, what would you do?

DSC1 shooting test, what would you do?

I have been asked if I mind using a Browning X-Bolt .308 by the guys at Fieldsports TV so they get their production costs paid for, but have never shot a .308 before. Initially I agreed before knowing the calibre, thinking it may have been a .243.

Just wondering what your thoughts are chaps, bearing in mind I believe they'll be filming the actual shooting test, not a staged one!

What would you do or what do you think I should do?

Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

you will be ok with the .308, i did mine with my x bolt .3006

but go with what you feel comfortable with, an what suits you

Not sure its a great idea them filming the actual test as puts a bit of extra pressure on you mate , but its not particularly hard anyway so you should be fine. I would just use a rifle that you are comfortable with and have shot before so get some practice in beforehand if you can.

use the rifle you shoot best with....

I'm guessing you wouldn't shoot at a deer with a rifle you'd never fired or proven zero on?

I voted for 22-250 because you know it and feel confident in using it, I imagine/assume, and at the end of the day it's YOUR test and you don't take to bugger it up because you don't know the rifle.

on the other hand, if you're a somewhat decent shot, you really should just be able to use any old rifle that shoots straight.

you could just ask them to film you taking 3 prone shots with the xbolt after your official shooting test, or before. shouldn't really matter to them.
    “One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset

Hi would not worry about it.308 is fine to shoot , am I mistaken thought you had taken possession of a .270 always think its better to shoot with a rifle you know, if you are going to go with the .308 see if its possible to get a few practise shots first.

If it was me I would try the .308 first if its possible. How long have you shot the .22-250? Are you familiar with it or is it also new to you? I will be taking my .223 but in all fairness I'm new to centrefires I've had it since Xmas and only shot 30 through it.

Cheers chaps I am only assuming they will be filming the test from what's been said, but like you say I spose I can dictate somewhat about what happens. I'm not a bad shot by any means so would be ok with most rifles, just trying to be helpful by agreeing to the request,

Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

I'd get the test out of the way without the cameras, and then let them film you "taking the test" afterwards - None of us will fess up to knowing...

Also, ask them to meet you ahead of the actual date at a range to allow you to get comfortable with the rifle

As said, you don't need anymore pressure than necessary, and I'm unsure as to what YOU'RE getting out of the arrangement

Sako 75 6.5x55 - Z6i 3-18x50. Sako 75 .308 Habicht 2.5-10x56. Beretta 690. Benelli M2.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)