Blaser has Aquired Rigby

Lots of good news in there for everyone - including that Mauser is going to start making new 98 actions again.

It would also be nice to see Rigby genuinely get back into business again back in London as it says something about the health of UK gun making. Clearly there is still a demand and that is a good thing both for those working in the business and also for all of us as a healthy gun making trade makes it harder for the communists to "ban shooting" as they are desperate to do.

Oh dear, I can see this presenting all sorts of conundrums to certain members of this Site who love nothing more than a spot of Blaser bashing - clatter-boxes, over-engineered teutonic danger muskets, plastic toys, etc - and wax lyrical about fine walnut, blued barrels, mauser actions and the like.

http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/is...a-hallmark-rigby-double-rifle-comes-available

Doubtless they will find a reason to carry on regardless :D

willie_gunn

I just hope they stick to the original 98 design and no funny business with modernisations or 'improvements'!!!

very curious what sort of price an 'in the white' new 98 action will have wholesale.

OH S**T

More stuff to start saveing for. A brand new .275 Rigby, now that sound expencive and interesting. HHMMM.
What excuse can I tell the wife for this one.:scared:

Paul

Oh dear, I can see this presenting all sorts of conundrums to certain members of this Site who love nothing more than a spot of Blaser bashing - clatter-boxes, over-engineered teutonic danger muskets, plastic toys, etc - and wax lyrical about fine walnut, blued barrels, mauser actions and the like.

http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/is...a-hallmark-rigby-double-rifle-comes-available

Doubtless they will find a reason to carry on regardless :D

willie_gunn

Yes, what a dilemma for some.

now that is a think of pure beauty

I wouldn't turn it down as a gift, of course: but am I alone in thinking it has just a little too much pistol grip and a good deal too much forend?

Reading this, from the OP's linked article:

“The real Rigby rifles from a hundred years ago were not overly fancy,” Knöbel said, “They were first-quality hunting rifles, made to be used. Mauser supplied the barreled actions, and Rigby finished them to their own high standards. We are going back to that method.”

makes me feel less shy to admit that I find eny engraving more than a tasteful smattering of rose-and-scroll decidedly de trop, though I guess the pictures of the appropriate quarry might help the novice to avoid elementary selection errors both in the gun-room and in the field.

Actaully, is anyone able to recommend someone to engrave a mouse on my Webley Tempest?

Last edited:
It's a 470 NE, you will need to control the recoil. These things were built to order though. The first owner might have had hands like shovels!

David.

PS Granite MOuntain Arms still make genuine 98 actions from the original drawings.

Last edited:
Blaser buy John Rigby Rifles

Blaser have bought John Rigby Rifles from the American owners. It seems they are opening a small custom shop in London with Blaser making the Mauser action.

Rigby type rifles have never left these shores and are still being made in Surrey:-

Ron Wharton from Rigby's

Continued building them. The American owners tried to stop him through court action but failed.

It will remain to be seen what the new "Rigby" rifles are like. One thing is for sure though recreating the atmosphere of Rigbys London sales area and workshop is going to be nigh on impossible. For one thing there will be no popping out back to find some treasure from the Safaris hey-days for the client with a Vintage Rigby like used to happen at say the Elephant & Castle premises.

Rigby lost most of it's stature when Rogue River rifles bought the name and moved it to California so I guess that's why it was up for sale. One wonders if the new owners of the name can find suitable craftsmen to rebuild the name again :confused: or are they just trying to bling up some pretty normal sporting rifles and plaster the Rigby name on the,?

Only time will tell I suppose.

Back