Does any one use this gun shop

shrek1

Just wondered if any one has used Whittlesey Gun shop ? The reason I ask is I have used it twice but I don't if it is just me but the reception that you get when you go in is cold and when trying to buy some thing is like pulling teeth. The first time I went in and spent £1200.00 and today went back and tried again and spent £300.00 and came feeling I done them another favour.

Last edited:
You should have done another 40 miles to Northampton Gun , Its were a Mr Norris used to frequent years ago .

Cheers

Just wondered if any one has used Whittlesey Gun shop ? The reason I ask is I have used it twice but I don't if it is just me but the reception that you get when you go in is cold and when trying to buy some thing is like pulling teeth. The first time I went in and spent £1200.00 and today went back and tried again and spent £300.00 and came feeling I done them another favour.

yes i do my good friend Dave owns it. Who dealt with you Brian !!!!!

yes i do my good friend Dave owns it. Who dealt with you Brian !!!!!
Hi yes I think that was his name I have to say that he could talk me out of buying any thing and both times I have been with cash in my pocket to spend,not to waste time.

No mate - thats not what you want... makes you want to shop online!

Last time I went to a gunshop there was a right nob (that didn't work there) emparting pearls of knowledge to everyone whilst striking a tea-pot stance by the till. He scoffed at be buying some factory S&B 6.5x55 at £20 a box and asked me what groups I shot with it. Apparently a 50p group at 100 meters wasn't good enough and gave me a condescending 'listen here my boy - i home load this number of grains of this with that & the other and i shoot cloverleaves on targets and every deer in the atlas joint'. I'm still amazed I kept a straight face.

The bloke who dealt with you obviously missed his calling on the Inland Revenue help line.

Hi yes I think that was his name I have to say that he could talk me out of buying any thing and both times I have been with cash in my pocket to spend,not to waste time.

thought as much as much. I'm surprised Dave still has a business with Brian there If you ever phone or go back make sure you deal with Dave (owner) :thumb:

No mate - thats not what you want... makes you want to shop online!

Last time I went to a gunshop there was a right nob (that didn't work there) emparting pearls of knowledge to everyone whilst striking a tea-pot stance by the till. He scoffed at be buying some factory S&B 6.5x55 at £20 a box and asked me what groups I shot with it. Apparently a 50p group at 100 meters wasn't good enough and gave me a condescending 'listen here my boy - i home load this number of grains of this with that & the other and i shoot cloverleaves on targets and every deer in the atlas joint'. I'm still amazed I kept a straight face.

The bloke who dealt with you obviously missed his calling on the Inland Revenue help line.
Well I am glad I am not the only one the thing is I would have spent more as there was things I wanted but was fed up with the lecture.

Dumb question but are guns for sale at gun shops in UK or is it only supplies?
HI UTGrad,
Yes gun shops are just that, gun shops. But not all are on the same par, as anything, some good, some not so good.
atb blue.

Dave is a genuine bloke I know him as we shoot the same place in Norfolk , I have visited his shop on a few occasions and had a deals with him in the past with no complaints.

Then someone is needing to have a word with him about Brian's attitude towards the customers. It could be costing Dave a lot of business.

David

Dumb question but are guns for sale at gun shops in UK or is it only supplies?
Hi UT, Guns are for sale in Gunshops here in UK but not as easy as it sounds.
The usual procedure is to go in a shop or look on line or whatever other method you use to decide what gun you want, then apply through the firearms department of the local Police Station for permission to buy it.
That's when all the background checks start.
Where are you going to use it, what will it be used for, are you fit to own a rifle, how much ammo are you asking for and how much do they (the police) think you should have. Then you will be interviewed to see if you are a fit person and what security measures have you taken to prevent unauthorised persons getting at your rifle.
Then you may be granted a Firearm certificate allowing you to walk into a gunshop and buy a gun.
Once you have a gun and an ammunition allowance, every time you buy ammo it will be recorded and if you reload, your Firearm Certificate has to be produced at the shop to prove you have authority to buy the particular components you are buying.
So to answer your question, yes gunshops do sell guns but only to people that have been put through a load of hassle and made to wait a long time.

Then someone is needing to have a word with him about Brian's attitude towards the customers. It could be costing Dave a lot of business.

David
When I went I was all so in the market for a sako .22 Quad and a cleaning kit for my .243 but I didn't look at any guns and left a.s.a.p

Back