A replacement stock for steyr P/H

norma 308

We have seen many replacement stocks for the many different rifles on the market just a look in classifieds shows a varied selection .unfortunantly for steyr owners there is very few to choose from .
i have been speaking to Fusion Stock Works ltd and they are interested in making a quality wood stock alternative for the pro hunter .
they are not talking laminate stocks but a real wood stock .i am currently sending my stock down to them for a pattern and look forward to seeing the new stock through its build .
cheers
​norma

We are in the process of doing a stock for a prohunter and will have it sorted for the CLA, there are a few issuses with steyrs firstly you need a trigger guard specially made and steyr mag wells are very wide leavine little wood either side. also how much would you be willing to pay for a replacement stock and trigger guard for a £800 rifle. By the way we are Joe west riflestocks and are looking at about £300 all in

Be careful admin may want to speak to you about trade membership if you are as stated .
What are your stocks made from ? Some interesting points about the mag well and t guard though .
regards
norma

Last edited:
We have seen many replacement stocks for the many different rifles on the market just a look in classifieds shows a varied selection .unfortunantly for steyr owners there is very few to choose from .
i have been speaking to Fusion Stock Works ltd and they are interested in making a quality wood stock alternative for the pro hunter .
they are not talking laminate stocks but a real wood stock .i am currently sending my stock down to them for a pattern and look forward to seeing the new stock through its build .
cheers
​norma

Interesting - what would are they doing for you? Bedding and trigger guard too? Costs?

They are scanning my stock for inletting and coming up with a trigger guard/mag solution .and as its made of from quality wood blanks not laminate it won't be silly cheap then you pays your money don't you !
​Cheers Norma

Well i paid a lot for my stock movable cheek piece, full bedding, QD sling attachments and adjustable butt/recall pad but it is brilliant. The trigger guard is tricky as you need to leave a hole or slot for trigger adjustment. The guys who did mind also had problems with mag area. Plus the rolling safety didnt help.

For those guys that are interested I will keep you abreast of how the build develops and show you some pictures as it goes along .really looking forward to a wood stock again as I've had laminate and synthetics for a long while .
kind regards
​norma

We were thinking of an aftermarket stock for the PH. Two reasons why it makes less sense than other rifles.
One is the already mentioned trigger guard issue and the other is that the PH is a sweated in barrel job, in other words a throw away rifle
with a limited life span.
edi

We were thinking of an aftermarket stock for the PH. Two reasons why it makes less sense than other rifles.
One is the already mentioned trigger guard issue and the other is that the PH is a sweated in barrel job, in other words a throw away rifle
with a limited life span.
edi

Spot on. This was my conclusion and why I sold my Pro-Hunter. It's an excellent out of the box rifle, but putting a bespoke stock on a rifle which can't easily be re-barrelled is a non starter. Regards JCS

If I was you I'd give Joe West a shout, if he doesn't have an inlet for it now I'm sure he can copy the original stock. Treat yourself and the rifle to a great looking stock that will make it shoot greAt consistently

You guys must shoot either a lot of deer or a lot of targets as I shoot neither in mass excess I think both my pro hunters in 6.5 and 308 should last me the rest of my life if I shoot 250 rounds a year using both rifles that would be my max .if I shoot 20 /30 rounds a year at paper I wouldnt be lying I have no interest in paper other than to zero .i do get through a lot of 22/250 ammo and 22lr for vermin .so I think the new stock would make a nice project for the pro hunter we will just have to see as I said I will keep you informed and if it don't work out it don't work out !
Regards
​norma

If I was you I'd give Joe West a shout, if he doesn't have an inlet for it now I'm sure he can copy the original stock. Treat yourself and the rifle to a great looking stock that will make it shoot greAt consistently
I Don't want a laminate stock chap .
cheers
​norma

norma. I understand exactly where you are coming from. As I said, I think the Pro-Hunter is an excellent rifle. My 260 Rem is on its second barrel. Yesterday 2 shots for 2 small bucks. Then one fouler at the target followed by 12 practice shots at the target. Regards JCS

How many shots jcs do you think I will sensibly get out of my pro hunters barrels ..... I am not a massive fan of cleaning my barrels every trip once a year if they need them or not lol
​cheers Norma

We were thinking of an aftermarket stock for the PH. Two reasons why it makes less sense than other rifles. One is the already mentioned trigger guard issue and the other is that the PH is a sweated in barrel job, in other words a throw away rifle with a limited life span. edi
Just got off the phone to simon at fusion they have now sorted the mag well / trigger guard hurdle ! Is the sweated in barrel hurdle not able to be sorted also like someone has already mentioned ?
Cheers
​norma

Norma, even if you take 10 shots per month, which is high for average leisure stalker, you probably have 20yrs before the barrel needs to be looked at. unless one is a target shooter or practices a lot, by the time a normal barrel is worn out,,,it's probably time to change the rifle anyway. ie, don't worry;)

How many shots jcs do you think I will sensibly get out of my pro hunters barrels ..... I am not a massive fan of cleaning my barrels every trip once a year if they need them or not lol
​cheers Norma

Norma. I don't know. .308 Win does seem to have a reputation as a barrel that will last and last. Best regards JCS

Back