308 win Barnes 130grn TSX

Mat

Tried 130 grain Barnes TSX with AA 2460 in 308 win as per their data, I thought their listed velocity was optimistic at 3221 FPS, but b*gger me, by the time I reached the max load, the velocity peaked at 3360 FPS... :evil: :eek:

My chrono might be a bit optimistic, but still !

Who needs a 270 :lol:

I have a box of these ,just waiting to be made up i,m going to be using varget. I would be interested if anyone has used them on deer ,pretty much the same as Nosler bts i imagine . I would imagine a bit messy at those speeds . Brough

brough

I am kinda hoping not the same as Nosler BT's.

Barnes TTSX should be controlled expansion 100% weight retention, Noslers low expansion control 30 % weight retention and fragments all over the carcas. Partitions are better but I still have issues with fragments going through the carcas damaging it.

Will let you know how I get on with these they are the barnes tsx with the polymer tip 130gr in 308.

I've not shot anything with it yet. I'll post a report when I do, only just managed to get the load zeroed... Mine are the non-tipped version.

I have however tried it at 200 yards, with it zeroed at 200, at 100 yards it was less than an inch high, so very flat shooting as expected.

I've been using barnes tsx's for the last couple of year in 308 and 6.5x55. i'm using the 130gr in 308 and shot every thing with it ie: foxes, muntjac, roe and fallow plus wallabies, thar and chamios in new zealand.

Hi

I have been using TSX in my 7mm rem mag for some time. Minimal meat damage on roe considering the velocity and amount of energy transfer. A great bullet. Seems accurate too. Please let us know how you get on with the 130g .308 versions with respect to accuracy and meat damage

Cheers

S

I use TSX in my 6.5x55. They're certainly not like Nosler BTs! They rearely lose any weight at all. They open up well, shove a load of their energy into the target and then carry on through leaving a neat exit with lots of blood. A good choice when you could be shooting anything from Munties to Reds

Does anyone know where I can get some to try? I'm down wilts/somerset border way.

What are they like at longer ranges do they still perform?

Thanks

RF

I've not yet managed to shoot any deer with the 130 grain TSX in 308, but I did get this fox, about 30m from a high seat. It dropped on the spot, so no complaints there. I couldn't quite work out where the entry / exit wound was, I'm not sure if it just tore a big gash in the chest. I wasn't about to dissect it.

IMG_0386.jpg

I'd say that as the Fox was at close range and you were in a high seat it would have entered in the right spot but exited low. The wound looks about how I'd expect them to look after a hit with my 6.5.

Accuracy wise I find them fine. I've only shot TSX out to 200m but at that range they were just as accurate as the Speer soft points I used to use. I can hit a 21/2" circle with them at that range and I'm not a great shot!

Back